Quantcast

First Aid Kits?

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
I carry a 10 year old Adventure Medical Kit along with some spray liquid bandage. I've only had to use the kit a few times but I was thinking I should probably update it. What does everyone carry? Are there any kits made for mtn bking? A quick internet search didn't find anything. A friend of mine had a crash at KT and got her break lever impaled in her thigh. Her boyfriend had a Israli gunshot kit or something like that and it saved the day. Like I said I've been lucky so far but I have seen people impale themselves on their chainrings, broken arms, etc. Most of the time we aren't too far from the cars tho. Occasionally I will lead a group of riders so I feel like I should be prepared.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
A .45 with a single round. Sorry old yeller.

I just have a kit from Costco that take the basics out of.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have a cheap kit I bought when I coached kids soccer that I keep in my pack. I should put a .45 in there, too. That would be helpful for those times the kit doesn't cover it.

mudgirl

Molester of monkeys
Jun 8, 2007
Tied up in the basement
I lead a ride each week, and also carry a basic first aid kit with various sized bandages, alcohol swabs, some gauze and tape, and some ibuprofen. I also have a couple bandanas for a makeshift sling or for larger/deeper cuts. Some things Treesaw carries that I don't (but keeping think I should): an OB tampon, a maxi pad, and Benadryl. She said the tampon is great for plugging up deep puncture wounds (perhaps similar to your friend's bike lever impalement), and the maxi pads soak up a lot of blood if someone is bleeding heavily. Benadryl in case someone is stung/bitten by an insect or comes into contact with something else that they have an allergic reaction to. I have a much more extensive first aid kit in my car. I guess my hope is that I can make do with what I have in my backpack out on the trails, and then get a injured rider back to my car either for more extensive bandaging/ice pack/etc. or a trip to the hospital.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
The way I always saw it, there's nothing a first aid kit can provide that I can't just tolerate and hobble out of the woods.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I have an old field medical kit box, a plastic box designed to hang on a webbelt...filled with assorted bandages, Karm-x, Neosporin, a small knife and some splinting and swathing material. Also carry a few Euro in change for trail side beers and sodas. Any more I think a cel phone is one of the best things you can carry too...

Diditn there used to be a "Brave Soldier" line of med kits purpose made for suff like mtb-ing?

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
A first aid kit may enable you finish the ride.
The only thing that would stop me from finishing a ride is a severely broken leg/back/neck, and I'm fairly certain there's no first aid kit in the world that will do anything for that.

In the 10+ years I've been riding bikes, I've seen a wide range of injuries mid-ride, from minor cuts and bruises to broken bones and loss of consciousness. In not a single case did a first aid kit ever come in use. First aid kits are to stop little Johnny from crying when he scrapes his knee at the monkey bars.

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Tempting fate but I tend to agree with CrabJoe on this one.

But yeah, duct tape. Wrap some around your pump and you will always have some in your pack. I've fixed an amazing array of bike and body parts peeling strips off when needed.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I wrap some around a 1/2" piece of dowel rod to take up less space in my pack. Zip ties are a must. Those plastic sample credit cards you get in the mail from banks make great sidewall patches.

As far as first aid kit goes, I just keep one in the car. I do however usually have a ziplock plastic baggie to put my phone in if it rains. It also doubles as a bag to put teeth or a finger in till you can get to the ER.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Tempting fate but I tend to agree with CrabJoe on this one.
Me too. I carry first aid stuff once in a while on long rides, but come to think of it I've never used it as far as I can remember. Most minor things I just wait; major stuff would be too much for a kit anyways. Unless I was planning a multi-day or super-super long ride, I don't know that a first aid kit is much help. Backpacking and other things like that are a different story.

mudgirl

Molester of monkeys
Jun 8, 2007
Tied up in the basement
I've used mine twice. Most recently when my group came across a lone rider who'd endo'ed and broken his collarbone. We were able to stabilize his arm/shoulder while we walked him out of the forest. The first time was when a friend was sawing through a fallen tree, the saw/his hand slipped and he nearly sliced off the tips of two of his fingers. It was about a 2 mile walk out of the forest from where it happened. I'm sure a shirt or sock or something could have been donated to slow the bleeding or stabilize the shoulder in both situations, but it was nice not to have to ruin an article of clothing. So, while those are the only two times I've *really* needed to use a first aid kit in 6 years of riding, I was happy to have it with me when I needed it. I've donated band aids here and there, especially while xc skiing, when friends have developed blisters on their feet from their boots.