Quantcast

first 24 hr race experiences

Y

yadadada

So I was wondering about what it was like doing your first 24 hour XC race? Did you go as part of a team or solo? Was it easier or harder than you expected? Any advice? Do you think it's easier as part of a team?

I want to do my first one next season. I've had a ton of fun on my bike since I got it, but I want to work towards something, so I thought setting that as a goal for myself for next year might help keep me motivated to stay in shape this winter.

thanks
-di

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
It's defintely easier as part of a team your first time because then you get an idea of what it involves, and how to be successful. Not to mention, it is a much more "fun" experience if you aren't riding around by yourself for 24 and can instead kick back in camp and chill.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I did my first 24 on a 5 person team in June of 2004 and we were all there to have fun, not necessarily to "win". I really learned a lot about hydration, when & what to eat and when to rest. After that first race, I was hooked and I trained my arse off to race again the next February ('05) in AZ. I was much faster and performed a lot better. I repeated on a 5 person team and ended up finishing the race for my team as they had thrown in the towel (torrential rainfall, cold, hail, etc.). After that, I got pregnant and still managed to ride in a 24 hour race that June (9-10 weeks pregnant) and again this past June (4 months after having my daughter) both on 5 person teams. Two weekends ago, I did my first solo 24 and I REALLY enjoyed the experience and am sure to do it again!

For your first time out, I would suggest going the team route. Definitely set your goals as a team so everyone is on the same page (i.e. you want to win vs. you want to go and race for the experience and don't care how you finish) and make sure to have fun.

weimie

Monkey
May 11, 2006
Boulder, CO
I've done a 24 race with a 4 person team and we did it as a "fun" event. Personally I'd rather do it solo or as a 2 person team because you get to ride more and ride when you want. On the 4 person team we would do 2 laps a turn and that seemed to work out pretty good but I always wanted to ride for longer.

Best time to be out on the course is the sunrise lap with a Mimosa waiting for you at the finish line :biggrin:

K2Crazy

Chimp
May 4, 2005
We did it as part of a team and we had a couple support people to help with food prep, moral support, bike mechanics, etc. :)

Team LUNA Chix in Seattle is going to put in 2 teams for Canmore in BC in July. If you're interested in going up there with a team or without, let us know. You're welcome to hang out and we'll provide moral support too! :)

Susan
info@seattlelunachix.com