Quantcast

Firefly Casting

BussaFrame

Monkey
Apr 19, 2005
While I was overhauling my Firefly+ I discovered oil was leaking out of the disk brake mounts. Has anyone heard of this happening before? I might be slow, but I don't think that there is anyway that the disk brake mounts should be drilled through the entire outer casting. I just wanted to see if anyone else has had or heard of this problem.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
What's this? A bike related thread in the lounge? :D

I've heard of a couple people having this problem, one guy who did it to himself (the bolts he was using were way too long). Make sure it's actually leaking out of the brake mounts (and it wasn't just some oil or something that got trapped under the bolt), and if it is, contact Manitou for a warrenty replacement.

Not a big fan of those post mounts, myself. They make brake mounting easy, but I don't like the idea of anything with a reasonably fine thread going into a part as expensive as a fork casting.

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
Yea, happened to one of my friends. Oem sherman that came off his 05 specialized p3. He took off the front brake and oil came out of the hole in the disc mount.

BussaFrame

Monkey
Apr 19, 2005
It's definately coming out of the Brake Mounts. We cleaned the fork about 5 times to ensure that the oil was coming out of the brake mounts. I am waiting till Maintou opens so that I can get a replacement casting.

I'm with you on the Post Mounts. I just happened to get this one at a good price so I jumped on it.

Glad to hear I'm not the only person who has had this problem.

BussaFrame

Monkey
Apr 19, 2005
Jayridesacove, do you know if the casting is the same for the whole Sherman line-up. I am going to try to get Camo castings if they are all compatable.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
BussaFrame said:
I'm with you on the Post Mounts. I just happened to get this one at a good price so I jumped on it.
Well, on the other hand I don't think there's a single crown chassis on the market that's as good as those Shermans. The damping seems to be a love/hate thing, but the chassis is goooood. :drool:

Love my TPC+ Firefly!

edit: Yes, the Shermans all have the same castings. The Camo casting will fit.

BussaFrame

Monkey
Apr 19, 2005
binary visions, thanks for the input on the castings. Now I have something to shoot for when I am calling answer. I know the fork is solid, I just would prefer my fork not to leak.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Is it the Manitou post mount system, or is it Manitou? Hmm.

Also, I was told that the Sherman Breakout TPC is not upgradable to SPV because of the differences between the castings, I believe.

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
Switching to camo lowers shouldn't be a problem as long as they are ones from the same fork in the lineup.

Personally, the manitou forks I've owned have given me a headache. Only one I've ever loved was my old sx-ti I had on my specialized xc bike back in the day.

Definitely love hate on the damping. I'm down with the tpc, the spv makes me all angry.

BussaFrame

Monkey
Apr 19, 2005
I think it's a Manitou problem. I also had a problem with my Nixon on anouther bike. I just want to get this problem fixed so I can ride. I'm fairly certain I won't be going with Manitou again. I have had a problem with every manitou fork I've owned.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
There are a lot of features, particularily the weight, with Mammy-Poo forks, but quality is an issue. I think they get the light weight by putting too much plastic inside the forks.

BussaFrame

Monkey
Apr 19, 2005
Manitou is sending new lowers so all is well. Couldn't get Camo, but at least I am getting the replacement part, so I can get my bike back together.

KobaltBlau

Chimp
Jun 13, 2005
Seattle
sanjuro said:
There are a lot of features, particularily the weight, with Mammy-Poo forks, but quality is an issue. I think they get the light weight by putting too much plastic inside the forks.
Talk to me. :D I'm in the market for a new fork, and have had manitou in the past and been pretty satisfied. problem is, my current fork is a 5 or 6" '99 X-Vert Carbon downhill fork that I use for trail riding. it's a double crown and only 5.2 pounds (weighed on a reliable scale), very strange. In other words, I'm out of date on manitou, but was leaning toward one. maybe a Minute as I'm trying to lose some weight (both me and the bike :))