Quantcast

Find my friend a HT...

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Got a friend looking for a hardtail...he likes my Nicolai geometry but sure can't afford it. (super-slack HA and short chainstays.) Anyone know of other HTs with 67 or slacker HA and 16" or under chainstays for $600 or less?

Le Toy and Cove Stiffee SL (if I remember the HA correctly) came to mind, but I can't find exact specs on the Toy, and the Cove doesn't seem to be made anymore. Arrows are cool bikes, too, but I don't think they're slack enough for him.

I realize there are a ton of cool bikes out there with 69 or so HAs, and I'll probably get recommendations for tons of them (planetXs, Banshees, whatever), but we're looking for what's generally considered an abnormally slack HA for a HT. I realize it's a long shot, but hey...that's what the Internet is for, right?

Yes, we're wierd people.

MD

Edit: Custom maker recommendations also taken... I was thinking he could call Cortina and see if they can make a slacker version of their cromo HT on the next run, too...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
24" rear wheel will slacken out any headangle by a degree... Just something you may not have thought of.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Oh, aren't Balfa Minutemen pretty slack?

Balfa lists the head angle on the Minuteman as 68 degrees. 24" rear wheel and you've got your desired 67 degrees.

Maybe look for a used one?

Evil lists the headangle as 68 degrees with a 5" fork on the Imperials. Again, 24" wheen and that's where you want to be. There's at least 2 for sale in the B&S forum.

jack123

Chimp
Oct 27, 2003
santa barbara
if he could get a cortina taht would be the way to go. there a sick company and make some of the nicest bikes around. im seriously looking at a triton dh for my next frame.
their also in the same town as me so that adds to why i want one

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Thanks for the advice...checked Soul Cycles, but they're too steep with long-ass chainstays...and he's not going to go for a 24" wheel, I don't think.

Minuteman is listed as a 70 HA on Unreal's site...I was wondering if that was accurate, b/c I always heard them spoken of as slacker.

Anyone know the LeToy HA?

MD

Colin

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
in my tiny apartment
Uh, I think a JF RAD is 69* with a 4"-travel fork. So with a 5"-travel fork it would be around 68* or so. Maybe even slacker with how long the newer forks are.

mental

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
Nelson, BC
Simple - KeeWee Progressor hardtail.

Chainsays adjustable (a la Banshee Scratch) from 15.5 to 16.5 inches, a 67 degree head angle with 5 inch fork, less with a 26 4 inch wheel.

Room for 3.0 x 24 inch rubber in rear and a good chainline.

It's without a doubt the favourite bike I've ever owned, and I've had more bikes in my stable than your average race team.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Nice call, Mental...just hope he can get one simply and quickly if he wants one...

rjw

Chimp
Apr 18, 2002
UK
MikeD said:
Le Toy and Cove Stiffee SL (if I remember the HA correctly) came to mind, but I can't find exact specs on the Toy, and the Cove doesn't seem to be made anymore
The Stiffee SL is now called the Foreplay MX.