Quantcast

Finally! I can get a comfortable saddle for my 650

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
That's how badly the bike industry wants to sell you 650b bikes.

It's actually a legit approach for WTB. It's pivot who deserves the ire on this one IMO.

Because you know.....just making a dh bike with the geo you want with 26" wheels just isn't an option any more.

650b wheels are just SOOOOOOO much better in every way, we'll just go ahead and let it ram into the seatpost. Something that was already a problem with 8" travel bikes with small frames and 26. We'll just let your ass hang off in order to sell them to you.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
It's pivot who deserves the ire on this one IMO.
Because you know.....just making a dh bike with the geo you want with 26" wheels just isn't an option any more.
:stupid:

that said, the new Phoenix is so :drool:worthy.
my LBS has an unsold mach6 on the wall. I've been daydreaming about building it with my 36 fork and old wheels to achieve what you're doing with that Norco.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
:stupid:

that said, the new Phoenix is so :drool:worthy.
my LBS has an unsold mach6 on the wall. I've been daydreaming about building it with my 36 fork and old wheels to achieve what you're doing with that Norco.
No bike is drool worthy until your ride it. :)

Those mach 6s were on my short list. I got to pedal one around a little bit. Kind of a weird fit. But seriously, fvck companies making only dh bikes that want to take 2.5lbs of tire, and a lb and half of rim and move it farther from the axle. There just ain't no sense in that. I don't care how light the rest of everything else is. Dh bikes are already unwieldy enough when things get tight and slow.

AAGGRRGGHHH! ATTACK!!! :D

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
No bike is drool worthy until your ride it. :)

Those mach 6s were on my short list. I got to pedal one around a little bit. Kind of a weird fit. But seriously, fvck companies making only dh bikes that want to take 2.5lbs of tire, and a lb and half of rim and move it farther from the axle. There just ain't no sense in that. I don't care how light the rest of everything else is. Dh bikes are already unwieldy enough when things get tight and slow.

AAGGRRGGHHH! ATTACK!!! :D
I don't know about that ... I got a couple laps on the current aluminum Phoenix and loved it. I also love my DHR. If it rode as well and dropped, what, 3 POUNDS with a proper coil shock? I'll call that "on-paper" drool worthy. :D

Pivot fit is weird. Like most frames I'm pretty much in between M and L. After pedaling a M I can't see it.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
In other words, they rushed R&D. I wonder what other mistakes they made with the design and/or manufacturing?
Pivot does some weird things but their construction, geo (and for the most part) their suspension curves are pretty damn good. I doubt the new bike actually puts the tire into the seatpost but if it's close enough that they had to get a custom saddle built just to put a reasonable chainstay on a 650b wheel........ That just shows how badly this 650b is being forced......especially on dh bikes.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
'member when Intense had some seat tube smashin going on? that was cool.
They should have designed a special Intense FRO tire that had a divot.

#fro

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
'member when Intense had some seat tube smashin going on? that was cool.
They should have designed a special Intense FRO tire that had a divot.

#fro

You just can't handle what the pros ride. They were designed that way.

mr intense said:
I realize my mistake here with my intention to give the consumer a DH exactly like our top WC racers run ( Matti, Chris etc.) a true FRO (for race only)and not some deluted down model but see now that this is not for everyone and was a bad idea. Intense has always pushed the geometry envelope starting way back with Palmer. Just because it works for Chris or Matti doesn't mean it will work for everyone. One guy posted a comparison to a BMW but my intention with the M6 was more like athe BMW m3 GTR and yes the tolerances are tight and at times on the track it will throw sparks and burn rubber and most of us would never get it out of the pits with the 6" clutch & flywheel. Yes most of us would love a GTR but what we really need is a sport coupe.
http://www.ridemonkey.com/threads/warning-to-future-intense-m6-owners.199859/page-4#post-2888152

Incidently, if you ever see a 650b ibis mojo, take a look at the back of the seat tube :D

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Oh, yea .... "that".

Duh.
Also, that frame is not 3lbs lighter than your dhr.

http://www.sicklines.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/16661

It might be two, but it's not 3.

Just know this: when you see stupid light builds like that..........it's not the frame that drops 8lbs. Put all that stuff on your current frame and you'd have a 35lb dh bike. One that's just as completely fucking useless riding dh on as that pivot is. :D

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
math is hard, I think I'll be a striper.
I think my frame/shock is about 10 lbs. Pivot claims 8 with a coil shock. Two, indeed.

you've seen my bike. I'm not about impractical parts. But, I sit at around 40 pounds and I would like to shed a few lbs. if I could.

Maybe I can score a deal on now discontinued 26" carbon rims or something.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Also, that frame is not 3lbs lighter than your dhr.

http://www.sicklines.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/16661

It might be two, but it's not 3.

Just know this: when you see stupid light builds like that..........it's not the frame that drops 8lbs. Put all that stuff on your current frame and you'd have a 35lb dh bike. One that's just as completely fucking useless riding dh on as that pivot is. :D
HAHAHAHAHA