Quantcast

Finally got the new (used) DHX on my bike

Sep 17, 2006

Here is my work in progress, fixing it up one part at a time. I can't wait to get some real saddle time in on the new shock. I just came off a brutally abused Vanilla RC that was missing both adjusters, spewing oil everywhere, and had no dampening. Sun went down too early though for me to ride anywhere. Hopefully I will see an increase in shock performance:biggrin:

I have one question so far. After taking my bike off a 4 ft ledge to flat in my neighborhood I came across some bottoming issues. That was after I had already turned the bottom out resistance all the way in. I know the spring weight is where I want it (the bike sags 2-3 inches with no preload while I'm sitting on it) and the previous owner of the shock had it pumped up to at least minimum pressure, so I am unsure of what I should do. Here's the question, should I just add more pressure to the reservoir, or add heavier oil to the shock, or both. It may be an ignorant question, but hey I'm only 16 and still learning. Enlighten me fellow monkeys :monkeydance:

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
I have one question so far. After taking my bike off a 4 ft ledge to flat in my neighborhood I came across some bottoming issues. That was after I had already turned the bottom out resistance all the way in. I know the spring weight is where I want it (the bike sags 2-3 inches with no preload while I'm sitting on it) and the previous owner of the shock had it pumped up to at least minimum pressure, so I am unsure of what I should do. Here's the question, should I just add more pressure to the reservoir, or add heavier oil to the shock, or both. It may be an ignorant question, but hey I'm only 16 and still learning. Enlighten me fellow monkeys :monkeydance:
well you could stop doing drops to flat... :D

Sep 17, 2006
I know, I love trannies when they are an option, but we are talking concrete ledges here. The RC, suprisingly enough, wouldn't bottom on the same ledge when it had no dampening. Don't get me wrong, the shock works great, but it just needs to match the bottoming resistance I have on my 888.

Sep 17, 2006
Gotta love them grimecas! Seriously, those things are awesome. Best thing since the invention of the sub sandwhich.

Any suggestions on the bottoming issue? I only weigh 135 and I'm running a 500 lb spring

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
Any suggestions on the bottoming issue? I only weigh 135 and I'm running a 500 lb spring
Wow, 500lb spring 135 lbs and still bottomming ?
I guess there's almost NO air in your shock.

- Put more Air in the Boost Valve, start with 100psi and work from there. (125Psi is the Maximum).
- Turn the Bottom-out-resistance-knob inwards.
- You can also adjust the preload ring, but not more than 2 full turns.
- If you can, use the lowest shockbolt hole on your frame, it's the most progressive of the 3.
. But make sure the seatstay or link doesn't hit the shock under full compression.

Sep 17, 2006
I guess the Big Hit w/ Big Link setup has a lot of leverage, so a 500 lb spring isn't really that stiff for me. I tend to lean towards stiffer suspension anyways (an example being my 888's that I bought from a 170 lb rider, which I love the progressiveness of). Ideally I would like to have around 1-2 inches of sag and no more, as my forks only ride about an inch down in the travel.

The bottom out resistance knob is all the way in and the preload is turned up a ways (which is probably a dumb idea) so that's not it. I'll have to toy with the boost valve as soon as I can get my hands on a shock pump. Is the DHX air shock pump any different than the coil version, because I can't seem to find a picture of one on the internet except for the air shock pump. Also, when using a shock pump, you're pumping air into the reservoir right? This confuses me a little since there's already nitrogen in the reservoir, which I wouldn't think you'd mix with air. Sorry for the noob status, I need proper instruction when it comes to suspension.

Sep 17, 2006
on the west coast, that's always an option... :lighten:
Not when there's a homeowners association in your neighborhood it isn't. Plus I don't have anything laying around the garage to make a quick tranny.

It was for pure shock testing only, not to look cool :imstupid:

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
... Also, when using a shock pump, you're pumping air into the reservoir right? This confuses me a little since there's already nitrogen in the reservoir, which I wouldn't think you'd mix with air.
Do NOT ride your shock with NO air or not enough air in the boost valve reservoir, it can damage your shock.
Don't worry about the air mixing with nitrogen, just use a high pressure pump with a schrader valve
and pump (around) 100Psi in the resevoir. The bottoming problem should be fixed now.

You can find more info here.--> shocks --> DHX --> click on : Bottom out resistance.

http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_bicycle/bike_index.htm

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
That bike looks good...it would look great if your rotors were on correctly. :)

Sorry thats just something that always bothers me.

Sep 17, 2006
Actually, for some reason, grimeca brake rotors show the rotation arrow going the opposite direction of "normal," so they are mounted correctly. I don't know why they do it, but if that's what it shows on the rotor, then that's how I'm going to put it on.

Sep 17, 2006
Check the air pressure and learn how to tune the DHX
I know enough about external adjustments to get my bike spot on, after coming from a MX background. But the whole boost valve concept is new to me. I understand how it works, but I've never had any hands-on experience with it.

As for checking the pressure, I'll have to borrow my friend's shock pump until I have cash to buy my own. Money's always been an issue for me.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Before you ruin your new shock..

you had better double check the air pressure!!!!! BTW there is no nitro in a DHX, just air. The absolute min air pressure is 75psi and the max is 125psi. 100 is a good place to start. You are not supposed to adjust the B.O. with more than 75psi in the shock either. You need a shock pump..any shock pump ASAP! Go the LBS and borrow one BEFORE you ride you bike again!!!!!

If you need 'lots' of preload to have the sag correctly set, you spring is too soft. Any more than two full turns of preload can ruin your shock or break your frame!! You should have just enough preload to keep the spring form rattling. Go here: http://www.tftunedshox.com/springcalc.htm to get a feel for the propper spring rate for your bike.

Go to Fox's web site and do some reading!! the owners manual is there as well as lots of FAQs and trouble shooting/set up info. Understand the shock before something goes wrong!!

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
Not when there's a homeowners association in your neighborhood it isn't. Plus I don't have anything laying around the garage to make a quick tranny.

It was for pure shock testing only, not to look cool :imstupid:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAH, this isn't fair.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
maybe we should have a class that teaches peeps how to route their cables/hoses correctly.

just head to your local bike shop and have them check the air. if they charge you for that, i'll punch them out.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
You dont know how to tune a shock if you havent checked the air pressure. You can turn knobs all day long and its still going to feel like crap. If its used it MIGHT leak a little air from time to time.

damn son. thats a 6 year old frame your rockin there! props. shoot me a pm if you wanna head out to ted sometime soon
mines 10 yrs. old and i'm FASTER!!!:p ;)
yet, as you can see- i can go over basically everything compared to his:

compared to:

as you can see, these are really old pictures and we both have new components on our bikes, but geo.-wise, nothing has changed...

as for TW, you missed it last weekend, we had 8 guys shuttling and we did every trail at least once!, which made me pick a new favorite trail: Insanity.
i also got impaled on Trees trying to follow Manny and stay in the ruts:imstupid:
but sadly, on my last launch on the Little Pond gap, i broke my bike...
:imstupid: to the extreme.

Is that trail perfect or what?

Good meeting you guys...
GOOD GOD its such a fun trail!!! i was in awe when it dropped me out in the pond- it is just sooo sick, the rocks couldnt get much better... for endoing:p... nah, that trail keeps you WAYYY focused the whole time.
I vote for it to be the next race-trail... there'd be lots of carnage in the section before the rock- drop into the canyon(and that was proved on Sat. by pretty much everyone... unfortunatley no-one saw my classic crash) which is my favorite part of the trail...
i may be getting a new frame sometime next week so we NEED to RIDE, i just got a video camera and Henry has a helmet cam that we can hook up, i desperatley want footage of all the trails.

coma13

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
GOOD GOD its such a fun trail!!! i was in awe when it dropped me out in the pond- it is just sooo sick, the rocks couldnt get much better... for endoing:p... nah, that trail keeps you WAYYY focused the whole time.
I vote for it to be the next race-trail... there'd be lots of carnage in the section before the rock- drop into the canyon(and that was proved on Sat. by pretty much everyone... unfortunatley no-one saw my classic crash) which is my favorite part of the trail...
i may be getting a new frame sometime next week so we NEED to RIDE, i just got a video camera and Henry has a helmet cam that we can hook up, i desperatley want footage of all the trails.
I've never crashed on that trail!!! :busted:

That's my claim to fame!

yeah, have heard about homeowners associations being real pains about that kind of thing, but if its your lifestyle they should be able to accept it. have you tried talking to them to be a bit more accepting? just a thought...
well, the area where the run-in to the drop is, is located right next to the head of the HOA's house, and is in a designated green-belt through the neighborhood... i guess the guy is just a stuck up a-hole who has no-one else to yell at... yet he sure is fine with letting 12 year olds build wooden forts and stuff in the bushes next to the ledge...

its just the opposite in my 'hood, we have a 4' wooden kicker that we set up in the street and leave out there for hours on end and the neighbors are fine with it... North Coast Patrol isn't, but all the neighbors come out and lecture the security guard about how they like the ramp and enjoy us(me) jumping it... i mean, my next door neighbor even pulled his Jeep up in between the launch and landing so he could see me jump it, and everybody who drives by tends to stop and ask for a one-jump show before heading on... my neighborhood is pretty cool like that... not to brag or anything, just to compare two neighborhoods that are basically across the street from eachother.