Quantcast

Finally got my new DH bike together.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
I was waiting for a different frame to materialize, but finally gave up. Pretty stoked on this though as I already have a SS1 that I've really enjoyed. This bike is the same roided out...

2010 Intense 951, large.
Cane Creek Double Barrel. (Ti spring on the way.)
2010 Marzocchi 888 EVO Ti.
Mavic 823's on Hadley hubs. Continental Der Kaiser tires.
Saint Brakeset.
Saint cranks (165mm) with E13 LG1+ (37t ring)
X0 gold short cage with X9 shifter.
Twenty6 Prerunners, Ti axels.
Dura Ace cassette.
SDG Formula FX I-beam seat and micro adjust post.
Chromag Fubar OSX bars in chrome.

Currently 39lbs 14oz.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Beautiful.

Here is what I don't get though. 39lbs. You have a light frame and tons of light parts but your build is right at the sweet number. Not too light, not too heavy. How is it that some of these people on here are hitting 37 with some regularity. There have to be sacrifices that I am not seeing... Maybe triple butted spokes? Crazy light rims?

I really hate to turn your thread Uncle Cliffy into a weight debate, but I think your bike is the first that actually seems right, and if it is, other people are doing something fishy... :think:

BTW... Sweet grip end-caps!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
really dig the chrome and gold. Super nice touches throughout. The 951 is one of the slickest looking frames out there, I think.

As to the weight comment, my guess is because all of the parts are REAL. Real tires, real brakes, real hubs...nothing absurdly lightweight that rides well only on the internet. Plus no ti spring and no air fork will make is slightly heavier. You could probably get down to 37, if you cared, between those two.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
fairly heavy fork, no ti spring. You can drop over a pound with a boxxer WC, about a pound with a 40/ti spring, dorado, or boxxer team, and half a pound with a ti spring. 823's are not well known for being light weight either, they're bomb proof and awesome, but, there are plenty of rims that will stand up to DH abuse that weigh half a pound less.

But enough with the weight thing. The bike is fuggin rad, it'll stand up with little to no maint, and you can beat the sh1t out of it. My bike is at a similar weight, and I love it.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Beautiful.

Here is what I don't get though. 39lbs. You have a light frame and tons of light parts but your build is right at the sweet number. Not too light, not too heavy. !
Agree here! the parts list is pretty spot on and 39 seems a bit heavy even with continental tires....

Edited: didnt realize it wasnt ti fork/shock spring and yes 823s makes sense...

Last edited:

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Agree here! the parts list is pretty spot on and 39 seems a bit heavy even with continental tires....

Edited: didnt realize it wasnt ti fork/shock spring and yes 823s makes sense...
Well, the EVO Ti does have a Ti spring and hardware, but mine weighs 7.2lbs. That wheelset has 36 straight guage DT's. Plus, I run a couple more scoops of Stans than they suggest. ;)

E13 should be shifted forward to 12 o'clock position. There needs to be more tention on lower roller.

Nice Bike !
I'm a victim of poor parts choice here. Lots of people run LG1+ guides on their 951, but if I knew that I would be building one, I'd have picked a different guide. (Thought I'd be building a different frame...)

It's currently rotated as far clockwise as the drilling will allow. The lower guide is in the middle position, but if I more to the narrow, I'll have to do some creative Dremel work to the backside of the pulley plate to clear the VPP block.

Seems to work good, but it's pretty vulnerable under sag.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Bike looks fantastic! How's it ride compared to the Flatline?

Did you get the custom endcaps from the ODI website? How long did they take to get?
That's a funny comparison. The Flatline was probably an inch longer in the wheelbase. CS length was 18.25! It's nice to be on a bike that's more nimble, and 5 lbs. lighter doesn't hurt either...

ODI website offers the custom collars. Any color, font, ect... Figured it was a nice touch. :D