Quantcast

Finally got my contraption pics!: Nucleon ST

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
The bike's been running for a month now (using old rims) but I just recently built up my newer wheels. Right now, it's set up at 9.5" travel, just under 44.5" wheelbase, 15" BB height. Not sure about the headtube angle...

Parts:
-Hayes brakes
-Some FSA stuff
-Some Truvativ stuff
-Atomlab wheels (DHR rims)
-Stratos S7 that ACTUALLY works!! For real, it feels good! Had to modify one of the cartridges inside and modify the spring stacks.
-Custom decals from Guess?Who

edit: I had to put the pics on Pinkbike since they're too big...kinda blurry too :mad:

http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/photo/?op=view&image=221767
http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/photo/?op=view&image=221768
http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/photo/?op=view&image=221772
http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/photo/?op=view&image=221770
http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/photo/?op=view&image=221769
http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/photo/?op=view&image=221766

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Originally posted by RD3
Nice ride. How much does it weigh?
Not sure about the weight...Guess?Who's Nucleon weighed something like 55lbs. Mine must be around 53 or so since I'm using a couple lighter parts here and there. You honestly don't even feel the weight when riding.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Originally posted by adrenalinerush
Very nice rig you got there, always has been a fav of mine. Let us know how you like it.

Latz
Randy
So far I love it!!! I thought the weight would be an issue but it's not! The bike is super soft, tracks well, stiff, and feels really stable through everything! The more I ride it, the more I love the way everything feels. I also like that Rohloff hub. It takes a little while to get used to but it works well! At least I know that I won't want to get rid of the frame for a good while. All there's left to do (for next year) is upgrade the suspension front and rear to Avalanche!!! :devil:

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Originally posted by ChrisRobin
Not sure about the weight...Guess?Who's Nucleon weighed something like 55lbs. Mine must be around 53 or so since I'm using a couple lighter parts here and there. You honestly don't even feel the weight when riding.
my ride weighted 55 before i shed some onces off, yours felt noticibly lighter.

So what did the chainstay length end up being? you never called me back about the rear dropouts.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Originally posted by zedro
So what did the chainstay length end up being? you never called me back about the rear dropouts.
Don't worry about the longer dropouts, I can deal with these ones I have now. When I lowered the BB height (remember when it was something like 16.5" and the wheelbase was 43.5"??), my wheelbase extended an inch. So everything is really good now!

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
Nice ride, glad you finally got the S7 working.
Yeah it's a weird feeling...when I had my BB7, the S7 felt like it was holding up the rest of the bike. It was like the rest of the bike could go faster. Now that everything works well, everything feels 'even' and balanced.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by ChrisRobin
Yeah it's a weird feeling...when I had my BB7, the S7 felt like it was holding up the rest of the bike. It was like the rest of the bike could go faster. Now that everything works well, everything feels 'even' and balanced.
Thats cool, and I am one of the few left who still likes the way S7's preform.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Originally posted by dropmachine.com
Yes, you are.

Mine sucked. Both of them.
Mine didn't work for 1.5 seasons and now after tinkering with it and trying everything, it's smoothe and I can get full travel.

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
How are you measuring the travel to get 9.5"? I was under the impression that with a 2.75" shock and the mounting options you have in the pictures it's between 7-8" of travel.

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
Originally posted by crashing_sux
How are you measuring the travel to get 9.5"? I was under the impression that with a 2.75" shock and the mounting options you have in the pictures it's between 7-8" of travel.
Nevermind, I just took another look and see that you're dead on. Not sure what I was thinking there.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Originally posted by crashing_sux
Nevermind, I just took another look and see that you're dead on. Not sure what I was thinking there.
One day I'd like to try out an Avalanche 9x3.0 shock in place of my current Romic 9x2.75...see what that's like.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
How does that feel with a shock like that??? I was told that the frame was made to work well with regular shocks like the Fox RC.

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
It feels great. My first run it felt like crap, (ramping up way too quickly) then I turned the air chamber volume know all the way out (least progressive) and it felt wonderful.

For comparisons sake the progressiveness curve of the Nucleon is almost identical to a Big Hit DH, which are coming with Swingers this year. The linkage is definitely not too progressive for the shock, you just have to realize that the linkage is progressive and that you don't need to shock to be as progressive and compensate for it when setting up the shock.

BrokenSpoke

Chimp
Feb 14, 2004
home land of poutine :D
sweet ride chris, im really looking foward into riding with you this summer if you dont mind, im glad you got that fork working, i remember when you lended it to me and it pissed oil all over, what did you do to it this time? drill it even more :D

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
BrokenSpoke said:
im glad you got that fork working, i remember when you lended it to me and it pissed oil all over, what did you do to it this time? drill it even more :D
Don't worry about my fork, worry about yours.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
It's too bad you couldn't get your boxxer to work properly...

How's the 888...did you adjust the springs, oil height, oil weight for your size and weight...etc???

BrokenSpoke

Chimp
Feb 14, 2004
home land of poutine :D
i havent got the time yet, i only rode it 3 times at bromont, im not using full travel yet, well 7 inches out of the 8 so i need to fine tune it, will do that in the sumer, and i got a new spring for my 5th element, i bottomed it out for the first time :D now i just need to play arround with all the setting to see witch one i like that most