Quantcast

Favorite XC style helmet...

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
Most of the time I don't wear my full face just riding trail so I usually use a skate style lid. Problem is there is hardly any vents in the skate helmet and I've been burning up lately and sweat has been getting in my eyes. My shop carries crap for helmets so I'm kinda fishing for ideas. I like the Giro e2 but they seem pricey. That kinda gives you an idea of what style I like, something agressive looking with a lot of ventilation. Any info, help, feedback appreciated.

johnbrittain

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Amarillo, Texas
i rode a giro E2 for about a year and a half, and crashed a ton on it and it held up just great, it is extremely strong and (imo) has the best ventelation. i personally think that it is worth a little bit extra.

ufdff15

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Central Massachusetts
I rode a Giro Exodus until i crashed and cracked it. I loved that helmet it was light and cool. But now i'm too cheap so i just suffer with a skate helmet. What helmet are you using now?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I have a Specialized M1 helmet. It has great vents and good fit, I love it.
I think you can't go wrong with a Giro either.

I think this is a case of try before you buy. You have to try a helmet on, because they all fit so differently.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Giro Xen is the best skate/DJ/XC blend helmet

For XC styling, the Havoc is the best - best shape (safety wise), light weight, and decent price.

There are good line overviews on http://www.bhsi.org

grimm

Monkey
Jan 12, 2002
Sweden
first off, you should really not expect a crashed helmet to be strong, since its designed to crack, even if you cant see it. but in reality i know most people cant afford to exchange the helmet as soon as you crash. i know i cant :(

anyway, i cant really give advice on a particular model, the best way is to find a well stocked retailer to try them on, as most brands specialize on a certain headshape. fit is key to safety, so good luck! :thumb:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Whatever fits your head.

For example, I find the Bell molds fit me much better than the Giro ones do. A helmet is one of the only things I don't think I'd buy without trying on first.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Silver said:
Whatever fits your head.

For example, I find the Bell molds fit me much better than the Giro ones do. A helmet is one of the only things I don't think I'd buy without trying on first.
Bell and Giro are the same company made by the same people etc...same molds I believe. Giros are just slightly pricier. I ride with a Limar...so there. :blah:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
xbluethunderx said:
Bell and Giro are the same company made by the same people etc...same molds I believe. Giros are just slightly pricier. I ride with a Limar...so there. :blah:
They don't fit the same though. I just can't get a Giro to sit right. Bells drop right on.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I found a Specialized Allez at a local warehouse sale that fits me great and it was less than $40, I have a pretty big head though and it is pretty darn ugly. It is nicely vented and light weight.

I say go to whoever has the best selection and try everything on, just get what fits you best.