Quantcast

Favorite Handlebar Bend

metalMTB

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
What is your favorite bend and what does the effect does it have on your riding? Protapers are 5 degrees upsweep and 9 degrees back. Easton havocs are 5 degrees up, 9 back. renthal is 5 up, 7 back. It seems like all the companies are slightly different. What do you prefer?

Last edited:

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Have loved Deity's 5x9 but am thinking about something with less sweep next time. Kind of feels like the 5x9 is too relaxed for me for aggro dh but will stay with that for the smaller bike. Seems I tuck in my elbows a little too much with a widebar that has that kind of sweep which is probably why I have increasingly started to roll them more forward as to negate some of the sweep

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
5/5 for DH, 7 back 5/6 up for everything else, more backsweep would make longer rides more comfortable but it makes the tech sections feel like poo, 9deg belongs on beach cruisers.

demonprec

Monkey
Nov 12, 2004
Whonnock BC Canada
Race Face Atlas 1 1/4 rise right now may switch to a Spank Spike Race 800 with a 2" rise , same angles as the RF bars , i tried Renethals and got bad hand cramps , same with a couple other bars

metalMTB

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
looks like the kore OCD are the lightest 800mm aluminum bar that I could find - 285g. Havoc 35mm aluminums are 300g, same with atlas. Might go with one of those. Kind of paranoid about using carbon...

Last edited:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I've always loved the traditional 5 and 9. As to the guy above, I ride aluminum bars but if I had the choice between carbon and an ultralight product made by Kore, I'd choose the carbon from a more reputable brand.

Dec 3, 2007
With some previous wrist problems, I prefer a 5/9. Unfortunately, finding a wide 2" rise option with that bend from a reputable manufacturer is getting more and more difficult.

shelteringsky

Monkey
May 21, 2010
Whatever the numbers are on Glory OEM bars. That, and pro-tapers on other bikes. Anyone brave enough to admit they ride flat bars in 2014?

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I've always loved the traditional 5 and 9. As to the guy above, I ride aluminum bars but if I had the choice between carbon and an ultralight product made by Kore, I'd choose the carbon from a more reputable brand.
What is wrong with Kore?

I've had Kore bars with zero issues, sold a USED pair to one of my hefty friends, he installed them on his dirt jumper and has done nothing but rave about their durability for the last two years. Not sure what bar they were exactly, but I purchased them in 2011 and they were 800mm width with a medium rise. I think he may have cut them down slightly but has stated over and over again that they have outlasted many of the other bars he has tried.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
In my mind Kore is known for tough and affordable components like you say. Just wouldn't be my first choice to experiment with the lightest aluminum bar on the market like the OP seems to be after.