Quantcast

fat colorado roadtrip

scratch

Chimp
Jan 1, 2005
denver, co
well, you got a couple texas boys comin up there. we're headin up there the 14th, leavin when we're done.

plan so far- base out of keystone, do some daytrips to places like vail, silverton, wildernest, possibly winter park.- any other suggestions/ what are the feasable day trips in that area?

good times will be had.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Dude - Silverton is not really a feasible "day" trip from Keystone. It'll take you around 5 hours to get there (one-way). And that's risking a pull-over by the Smokies.

The Aspen/Snowmass area would be a feasible road trip from there.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Salida, CO and ride Monarch Crest. Steamboat Springs and ride anything (but try and get in stuff in North Routt - Big/Little Red Park, Whisky Park). South Routt is good too - Muddy Slide, Rock Creek... If you stay in town, do Lower Bear by the Hot Springs, and Emerald Mountain is all good.

scratch

Chimp
Jan 1, 2005
denver, co
what is the freeride hierarchy of places to hit? i guess i'm just asking for a straight up list from best to ok of the riding spots up there. dj/dh/freeride goodies please

pau11y- those sound very xc-ish, or am i mistaken?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
scratch said:
what is the freeride hierarchy of places to hit? i guess i'm just asking for a straight up list from best to ok of the riding spots up there. dj/dh/freeride goodies please
For Freeride, I think:

Silverton
Vail/Keystone
Snowmass (?)

I don't think any of the others have much "freeride" as in lift served stuff. But I don't freeride, so maybe I'm full of $hit. :D

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I would hit up the Keystone/Vail area for a couple of days, then I go down to the Telluride area. From there you can hit up some killer shuttles, ride the free gondola all you want in Telluride and Silverton is an easy day trip from there. At the bottom of the gondola in Telluride is a white house with a shed in the back. On top of the shed is crapped out Candfield all busted up. Stop by that house. It is full of super cool guys that are always riding. They'll show you the goods around town.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
scratch said:

pau11y- those sound very xc-ish, or am i mistaken?
Yup, train riding, but doable on a multi-ringed FR bike.

scratch

Chimp
Jan 1, 2005
denver, co
mmmm....i can't wait. we're hitting keystone first- get there sunday night, stay a couple days and do some trips to vail, maybe snowmass. then we may work our way out to telluride and silverton towards the middle/ end of the week.
we'll drop by if we're in telluride.
i am amped.

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
scratch said:
well, you got a couple texas boys comin up there. we're headin up there the 14th, leavin when we're done.

plan so far- base out of keystone, do some daytrips to places like vail, silverton, wildernest, possibly winter park.- any other suggestions/ what are the feasable day trips in that area?

good times will be had.
You guys should hit up the Snowmass MSC race at the end of the week - link

akaeasy_j

Chimp
Sep 23, 2003
Frisco, TX
Beast said:
You guys should hit up the Snowmass MSC race at the end of the week - link
I would like to hit the race, but We gotta be back in TX by monday am for work, and that would be pushing it. I do plan to hit another MSC race this year tho.