Quantcast

Ex1750

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Anyone run these wheels?

I am thinking about buying them but haven't yet for no reason other then I have heard nothing good/bad about them.

(really I just want them cause they match the colors of my new bike)

IVCrider

Chimp
Jun 24, 2006
In Traffic
They are really light, and kink and bend really easily. I would consider them a disposable racing wheel because you will have to replace the rear rim once or twice a season. So far my front wheel is still perfectly true after days of riding northstar but the rear is preety much destroyed. I'd say if money is not a problem get them, but if it is, get a stronger wheelset. Hope that helped a bit.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I've heard better things about the DT 5.1 rims, but my only experience with DT is using the 6.1's and they are garbage. They stayed on my new DH bike from July until the middle of August before they got replaced with Mavic 823's. In that time they were constantly needing to be trued and so far the Mavic's haven't needed anything. Also the Mavic 321's on my old bike are 6 years old and are still in way better shape than the DT's were after 1 month.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
The EX1750 wheelset does use the 5.1d rim - I think he was just relating his experiences running the 6.1's in a seperate example.

On average, the 5.1's DO seem to hold up a bit longer than the 6.1's but the 5.1's will still bend, and get out of true. As was said previously, this rim is meant for pure racing in that it will sacrifice itself in order to keep the tube from pinch-flatting.

At Mt. Saint Anne a lot of guys who were running Mavic rims which use a harder, stiffer metal experienced a bit more pinchflats than guys who ran the EX1750 wheelsets or the 5.1 rims mounted to their own brand of hub.

If racing is really important, if you don't weigh a lot, are SUPER smooth, and have a lot of money to spend on new rims than go for the 5.1's.

If you want something that will last longer, get a Mavic EX721, EX823, or 729... You may run the risk of pinch-flats but this can be fixed by running higher pressures or a thicker tube.

Mar 4, 2003
Somewhere in Alabama
Yes, the ex1750 wheels use 5.1d rims. I've got a set of 5.1's that have faired pretty well for me. The only thing is I've got just the plain ole' black rims, which are a little bit slower than the sweet white/red rims on the 1750's. I've heard that black rims absorb heat (and thus weight) more than white rims. So that must be why Sam Hill can dominate in the World Cups - because his wheels reflect light and make him faster than everybody else. Just a thought

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
i know a guy, Simon from Fluidride, has ridden his 1750 on the chilean urban Dh race, 10000ft elevation drop[ runs in the chilean mountains, countless days up at whistler, 8+ races, and there still runnin strong, he is fairly smooth, but not the lightest of riders, hes tall and muscular, he has a few dents in the rear and a crack in the rear and i believe the front is still great, but hes still riding them day after day at whistler and race after race

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
It is a 5.1.

This rim/wheelset isn't intended for downhill use per what the people at DT Swiss and common sense says. They are stupid light and I would only look at them for downhill use if you are a serious racer. I have a pair and they held up very well till this past weekend where they were smoked from the course. However, I also have extra 5.1 rims to lace up and from now on they are going to be dedicated race wheels.

If you are serious about your racing they are great wheels. For general downhill or freeride use you will want to look elsewhere.

ride_fast

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
boulder, co
I was running a heavier wheel at world's in Ft. William and I put a pair of EX 1750's on the day before the race and could noticably feel how snappy and quick that are pedaling, cornering, etc. They have held up for 2 days at Fort William which is a very rough track ( ruined a pair of 823's), 2 days of racing in Sol Vista, and shutteling almost every day near where I live which are really rough trails. They held up a lot better than what I had expected from reading on the internet and are still in great condition. They are staying true and tight as well as my 823's were riding the same stuff. Perfect for racing!

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
As I've said before, I've been running 5.1s all season, and have had no problems. I'm a big guy (120kg) and race Elite, so they cop a pounding, yet they're in better conditions than my 721s were after last season. I will say that I race my bike every second week during the state series, and even more in summer, and i only have the one wheelset.

I'd love to buy a 1750 wheelset, just a shame the rear hubs don't come in 135x12mm.