Quantcast

Evil owners, short wheelbase questions for ya

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I've never ridden an Evil Empire but in all the pics I see, the wheel base looks really short compared to other bikes.

do any of you find that this hinders you when trail riding? for instance, rolling over some obsticles may be harder or more dangerous with a short wheelbase then a longer one?

also, downhill hardtails tend to have a bit longer wheelbase, making them more stable. do any of you find that the short wheelbase works against you in downhill type situations?

I understand that if one spends $800.00 or so on a frame, they have a tendancy to believe it is the best frame ever though...;)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
there are three chainstay length options: 15.5, 16.25, 17.00. 17 is plenty dh-like...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
It's actually an Evil Imperial. The Empire was their unreleased testing full suspension frame.

I don't remember the exact wheelbase but I don't find it to be bothersome. I like the short manuverable feel and it hasn't been a hinderance.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Oops. yea, Imperial.

I know you can adjust the chainstay lengths but the wheelbase (from the front wheel to the rear wheel) looks short. that is where my question originated from.

actually, the reason I thought of it was, I was on a trail this weekend and there was a log that was rollable on a steep section of trail. my wheelbase is really short and I probably would have flipped OTB had I tried to roll this thing. so I was curious if others had run into the same thing. I don't ride an Evil Imperial but they seem short like my bike so.....

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
pnj said:
do any of you find that this hinders you when trail riding? for instance, rolling over some obsticles may be harder or more dangerous with a short wheelbase then a longer one?

QUOTE]

None whatsoever, if anything it improves the ability to flick/toss the bike around. I can't remember my actual wheelbase but I usually run my rear wheel in the 16.25 spot and do quite a bit of trail and downhill riding like this and love the way the bike feels. I've cleaned tough tech spots on my Imperial that I had to walk on my big DH bike the first couple times, its just easier to move around, especially if any trials skills are needed.

R

Rabie

When you're riding a ht with a short wheelbase, it's most helpful if you don't think of the front and rear of the bike as separate entities. Like if you're negotiating a log roll-over, don't think about getting the front over, and then the rear, just get the bike all the way over in one motion.

stringcheese

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Golden, CO
Well, I don't have an Imperial, but I have a Nicolai bmxtb which has a really short CS length as well. I prefer the shorter stays for trailriding because of maneuverability. The only problem I ever notice is on really steep climbs I sometimes have to get out of the seat and lean forward a bit to pedal to avoid tipping back. This problem could be fixed slighly by putting on a longer stem, but I ride more street and dirtjumping than trailriding so I am forced to compromise.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
stringcheese said:
Well, I don't have an Imperial, but I have a Nicolai bmxtb which has a really short CS length as well. I prefer the shorter stays for trailriding because of maneuverability. The only problem I ever notice is on really steep climbs I sometimes have to get out of the seat and lean forward a bit to pedal to avoid tipping back. This problem could be fixed slighly by putting on a longer stem, but I ride more street and dirtjumping than trailriding so I am forced to compromise.
ditto.