Quantcast

Eventually...

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Yeah, I saw that. They used like 40 cars or something. The security situation there sounds absolutely peachy, provided you're an insurgent.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
And it was and "inside" job, nice.

The Interior Ministry said it arrested five senior police officers Monday night in connection with the kidnapping, including the police chief for Karradah, the central Baghdad neighborhood where the Higher Education Ministry facility was located.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
That's our new strategy. Let everyone get kidnapped and then claim iraq via squatters rights once the place is empty.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I thought this was a great note as well:

Also taken into custody were the commander of the police brigade in charge of the area and three other officers, spokesman Maj. Gen. Jalil Khalaf, said.

In his sole public comments on the kidnapping, Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki said the kidnapping was the result of rivalries among armed groups sponsored by different political factions.

"What is happening is not terrorism, but the result of disagreements and conflict between militias belonging to this side or that," al-Maliki said in televised remarks during a meeting with President Jalal Talabani.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Since we've made torture legal again let's just put Saddam back in charge and give him a lifetime supply of Die Hard batteries.

Kihaji

Norman Einstein
Jan 18, 2004
The US generals and Spec ops on the ground training the police force have been warning about this since day one. The police force does not see their job as one of public safety, they see it as a pay check. They have no sense of national identity, no pride in their country, so corruption and this sort of thing happen more readily.

I've said it before(probably not on here). The US should not have liberated Iraq. Yes, we should have gotten involved, yes something needed to be done, but we should have aided the Iraqi's in liberating themselves, be it overtly or covertly. A nation that liberates itself retains it's identity, and this crap happens less.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
My 1st Lt. buddy who just returned from Bahgdad because of a broken back... "That place F'ing sucks... I'd be wanting to kill people too if it was 140 all day long".

What these people really need is a mass donation of AC units. That is the solution to Iraq.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My 1st Lt. buddy who just returned from Bahgdad because of a broken back... "That place F'ing sucks... I'd be wanting to kill people too if it was 140 all day long".

What these people really need is a mass donation of AC units. That is the solution to Iraq.

Well we have spent about $7000 on each person in Iraq. You think if we just gave them all a window AC and a used Honda they would behave?

Bikebro

Chimp
Apr 13, 2005
One thing I don't get is why the Iraqi Army and Police personnel are all stationed in or near their home town. It seems less of this **** would happen if they moved people all over like most western armies do. Bring people together that don't know each other, tear them down individually, and then build them back up as a unit. Again its how most modern armies work towards building national and unit pride.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Well we have spent about $7000 on each person in Iraq. You think if we just gave them all a window AC and a used Honda they would behave?
If they could run the window ACs it might help. Pity the power stations all got bombed four years ago and haven't been fixed enough yet...

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
One thing I don't get is why the Iraqi Army and Police personnel are all stationed in or near their home town. It seems less of this **** would happen if they moved people all over like most western armies do. Bring people together that don't know each other, tear them down individually, and then build them back up as a unit. Again its how most modern armies work towards building national and unit pride.
Seems reasonable. Anyone have an answer?

I think maybe the reason is 1) The training is being done 'as fast as possible' (i.e. badly) and 2) Alot of the trouble is sectarian, and no matter what you are doing to train these people, they will still have underlying loyalty to their particular flavour of religion.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If they could run the window ACs it might help. Pity the power stations all got bombed four years ago and haven't been fixed enough yet...

They have fixed more power stations than the US had bombed, saboteurs just keep blowing da chit up.

Kihaji

Norman Einstein
Jan 18, 2004
About what?
Oh I don't know, the systematic killing of the kurds, kidnapping and torture of citizens, kidnap and rape of women, the use of chemical weapons on the Iraqi people, the fact that Saddam openly called for the destruction of Israel and the Jewish people. Pick one, there's plenty to go around.

Kihaji

Norman Einstein
Jan 18, 2004
Modern armies build national pride because they have a nation. Iraq is, in all essence, 3 nations. The Sunni, Shai, and Kurds, and none of them get along, and haven't for centuries.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Oh I don't know, the systematic killing of the kurds, kidnapping and torture of citizens, kidnap and rape of women, the use of chemical weapons on the Iraqi people, the fact that Saddam openly called for the destruction of Israel and the Jewish people. Pick one, there's plenty to go around.
Why Iraq? There are plenty of countries with way worse lists than that. Not to mention that the invasion has now caused more deaths than Saddam managed in 25 years...

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
Oh I don't know, the systematic killing of the kurds,
sudan...
kidnapping and torture of citizens,
sudan as well...
kidnap and rape of women,
congo and, you guessed it, sudan...
the use of chemical weapons on the Iraqi people,
in the late 1980s...
the fact that Saddam openly called for the destruction of Israel and the Jewish people.
so have many palestinians, we invading them anytime soon?
Pick one, there's plenty to go around.
oil?

Kihaji

Norman Einstein
Jan 18, 2004
sudan...

sudan as well...

congo and, you guessed it, sudan...

in the late 1980s...

so have many palestinians, we invading them anytime soon?

oil?
The question wasn't why we didnt invade those other places, it's why we invaded Iraq. Now I'm not so naive to belive that Bush had the reasons I listed above as his primary motivators to invade, but none the less, they are reasons we should have taken action.

All the other places you listed (Sudan especially in my eyes), should also be helped. But honestly, do you want this adminstration invading another country? I sure as hell don't.