Quantcast

Ermahgerd, cyclo-terrorists!!

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
A beloved Connecticut mom, struck by an out-of-control bicyclist in Central Park last week, died from her injuries, loved ones said Monday.

Jill Tarlov, 59, had been out shopping for a birthday gift for her daughter when daredevil biker Jason Marshall plowed into her on Thursday.
and

The 31-year-old East Harlem man is a fierce triathlete who takes incredible pride in his $4,000, top-of-the-line Jamis Eclipse racing bike.
http://nypost.com/2014/09/22/mom-struck-by-cyclist-in-central-park-dies/

*sigh*

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
**** racing roadies on public paths. One azzHole like that almost killed my wife two years ago.
It's a public road.... And there are reports that he had a green light. *And* the fastest his Strava ever recorded on this stretch was 28.6mph. So, he was going (at most) 3mph over the speed limit, and possibly had a green light.

Yep, terrorist all the way.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
So bikes not yielding to pedestrians is OK, but cars not yielding is an outrage. Glad we cleared that up.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
what exactly are you sighing about?
The fact that if the driver of a "$4,000!!!!" car was driving 3mph over the speed limit and had hit and killed a pedestrian it probably wouldn't have even made the news, but because it was a cyclist suddenly we're out-of-control two-wheeled monsters out to prey on women and children?

I've yet to hear how much a car costs when it kills someone, and yet every single "news" story out of the NY Post seems to feel that this is relevant...

edit, or this one:

"New York Cycles of Death, Our Arrogant-Biker Nightmare"

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Btw, in that last NYPost article, the author notes that only 2 out of the 754 pedestrians killed in the last 5 years were killed by bicycles (0.2%). I'd love to ask her where her outrage was the other 99.8% of the time?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
The fixie is the bike of choice to run reds it seems, no brakes and fancy hats I'm sure Darwin is at the back of the pack waiting to point and laugh.

Also MTB riders hitting people on designated walking trails are just as bad, there are fucktards in every category.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
^^ A few years ago I caught the aftermath of a fixie rider who had hit a parked car and cut his forehead open above the eye. No brakes and no helmet. He blamed the crash on his new stem.

When he asked if the cut was bad, I told him he needed a few stitches. He said he didn't have insurance so I immediately thought of the super glue trick, but decided not to tell him because I didn't think he was smart enough not to get it in his eye.