Quantcast

enviro science career advice (longish)

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
Hey all. I'm not an avid poster but I lurk a bit. Here it goes:

I'm having some career issues and I was wondering if anyone wanted to chime in w/ thier 2 cents. I'm currently working for an environmental non-profit as an environmental scientist/tech. This is my first job out of college and its going on 3 years here. I'm having the same complaints as many people, the work isn't what I was told I'd be doing when I came on and the pay is lame. I would like to leave and find greener pastures, but I'm getting stonewalled. There is hardly any work here in Knoxville in this field, esp that makes it worth quiting this job. And everything I'm finding out of state wants someone local. It feels like I'm banging my head against a wall. The advice I'm getting from friends and family is either to keep appying and things will come through or go back and get a second degree (iie. enviro engineering) or masters (and a master's in forestry isn't really the answer).

So, what do you all think? Knoxville isn't home, I'm not married and have no kids, so moving isn't a problem. Complete career change? Recomended locations? Different searching techniques? Rich sugar momma? :) Live in my sation wagon? I'm just frustrated and tired of living off my credit card making less than my age.

Thanks ya'll. And I'm not going to be making decisions off here, just trying to get a feeling of other's ideas.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
A really good buddy of mine works for the Nature Conservancy down in North Georgia, probably doing similar work to what you do. His situation at three years sounded a lot like yours. He wasn't really happy, no raises, promised promotions never came through. He was basically stuck in an entry level position for a long time. He stuck it out and things did eventually come around his way. He's now a regional manager.

I'm not sure if that helps you or not. The difference between him and you is that he did like what he was doing.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I was actually considering majoring in environmental studies for a while, but Ive just heard too many stories like yours. I dont really have any good advice, but you gave me some more.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I'm so glad I switched majors. I would have been miserable in that field. So glad I found geography.

d.e.f., How are your GIS skills? You can find a good paying GIS-type job about anywhere. city planning and Enviro-type stuff as well.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
I'd cast my vote for adding a technical degree, and then going into consulting. My hubby is a hydrogeologic engineer, specializes in landfill/remediation/permitting. We opened our own consulting firm last year. Granted, he's got 20 years of experience under his belt now but he's been able to work his way from field guy to branch manager to owning his own firm.

geargrrl

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
geargrrl said:
I'd cast my vote for adding a technical degree, and then going into consulting. My hubby is a hydrogeologic engineer, specializes in landfill/remediation/permitting. We opened our own consulting firm last year. Granted, he's got 20 years of experience under his belt now but he's been able to work his way from field guy to branch manager to owning his own firm.

geargrrl
Yup. Nearly impossible to market yourself in the upper-eschelon areas of the consulting world without technical expertise. GIS/RS is one option, engineering is another. You might consider moving to a place where environmental values are core to the community. Some smaller towns in CA, OR, and WA have MANY consulting firms, advocacy groups, watershed management consortiums, etc. The problem with such towns is that they act as talent sinks, with LOTS of competition for good jobs. Trying to find a good job without an advanced degree is generally useless. So many people have 3-5 years experience AND an MS. I have an MS, and I find myself competing with people with PhDs for jobs that don't even advertise needing an advanced degree. Then again, Corvallis, OR is the most over-educated town in the state.

And, if "pay sucks" is really a concern, you need to pick a different career path. There is little money to be had in the environmental field unless you are on the developers side (i.e. consulting).

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
Thanks for some insight. I actually have a forestry degree, but jobs there are tough to find as well and I happened into what I have now. As far as tech skills go: I have enought GIS courses to get my degree but probably not a job in it. I also did a lot of cad work in my first few years of college (switched out of me....if only I knew:rolleyes: ). I've been contemplating night classes in GIS and that is probably the route I'll go down next semester. More school debt!

As far as the 'pay sucks' part, I know I'm not going to get rich. But its also tough when I'm still $10k (at least!) down than what I would be w/ the forest service/park service/blm or private sector or guys in this office that don't do sh!t.

I'm thinking to relocate and then work on getting a more technical degree once I establish residency. I've talked w/ some people doing this and many of my credits will transfer and it should only take a few years to get another degree. I was just hoping what I've done here and w/ the forest service would be more attractive...but they just arn't. Thanks guys.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
SkaredShtles said:
You could always go to work for a oil/gas/mining company and fight the enviros.

I'd bet they pay really well..............
Funny actually. I dated an extremely conservitive chick for a good bit. She and her friends always called me a hippy and a tree hugger because of the bikes and my education. Ironically, I learned how to harvest trees in school and cut down plenty of them w/ the forest service.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
Holly crap! An Interview!!
I got a call on Wednesday about a position in Richmond VA that I wasn't experienced enough for in August. Its open again and I've got a call this morning from them wanting a phone interview this afternoon. I'm still playing w/ their website just seeing what they've got going on. Damn I'm nervous, I haven't had to do one of these in a while, and everything hit so quick.

We'll see how she goes!

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
jdschall said:
Good luck. You know that Richmond is pretty far from Windrock right?
Yeah, but I had to sell the v10 back last fall to pay Ed Financial so they wouldn't send a couple of guido's over to break my shins. But, maybe I could afford another dh bike and just visit if things go right.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Here's my advice. Work sucks. Anyway you slice it. IMO, you either live to work or work to live. Yes, some people who work alot and make alot are quite happy, but generally they don't do much outside of work. Whereas the people who work to live might be happier but they are poorer.

My advice is go to work, do your best, but at quitting time forget about it. Grab a beer, and bike, or both and have fun. Don't get too caught up in finding the perfect job. You'll either not make enough or it will require too much time.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
SkaredShtles said:
You could always go to work for a oil/gas/mining company and fight the enviros.

I'd bet they pay really well..............
the big guys need help with compliance, too. Too bad most of the superfund cleanups are "done".

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
profro said:
Here's my advice. Work sucks. Anyway you slice it. IMO, you either live to work or work to live. Yes, some people who work alot and make alot are quite happy, but generally they don't do much outside of work. Whereas the people who work to live might be happier but they are poorer.

My advice is go to work, do your best, but at quitting time forget about it. Grab a beer, and bike, or both and have fun. Don't get too caught up in finding the perfect job. You'll either not make enough or it will require too much time.
Its a difficult trade off. But right now, working where I am, I'm paying my rent and student loans and I've hardly got enough cash left over to eat. (thank god I don't have the east TN method addiction) I'm trying to find that balance, and doing it in Knoxville has been hard - so I've had to look elsewhere. Believe me, I'm not hunting for boat loads of cash and staying in an office until I'm blue in the face.
But if I can find something where I can do what I like and have a little bit of extra cash to do the things I enjoy....then I can work to live. And thats what I'm going for.

....that and moving up in the world from drinking southpaw.