Quantcast

Electronic Campy. . .

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
Just curious what people think about it and who's gonna run it on their bikes. Looks pretty sweet to me, but I'm sure it's gonna cost an arm and a leg. . .and be a bicycle mechanic's worst nightmare.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I doubt it will every catch on. I have heard about electronic shifting every decade since the 80's, but cables do a fine job and weight very little.

Electronic shifting seems to be another thing to go wrong. The first time someone drops a chain because they ride pass a radio tower or a power sub-station...

I should also point out the rumor I heard that Cateye manufactures the Ergobrain computer. I think I will wait for the Asians to develop electronic shifting before the Euros.

What I have been thinking about is an all Italian mtn bike group: Campy shifters and drivetrain, Formula brakes, and Marzocchi suspension...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
but, uhh, anyone who rides enough, well, isn't shifting mostly second nature?

And isn't the trend to simplify? I mean, some roadies are going from STI back to downtube shifters, yeah?

That said, much better things to spend money on... like Topolinos :D

JoeRay

Monkey
Feb 19, 2004
In Squalor
Mavic Mechatronic, run away, fast, NOW.

True it was cordless but it was scary. My old boss had it on a bike I rode a few times on a trainer. Even just serviced by Mavic with new batteries, it wouldn't hold gears, the indexing was goofy.

The wireless set up was prone to interference from everything. Cell phones especially. You should see it boogie with a phone near it. Polar gear plays merry devils with it.

And the levers were just an offence against aesthetics.

The set up was only for wireless rear mech, normal cable operated front mech.

Cost a bomb and didn't perform.

I'll take a lot of convincing to change onto anything that shifts electronically.