Quantcast

El Camino help

muddyfox

Monkey
Feb 13, 2002
North Vancouver, B.C.
I've had a few rides now with a new set of El Camino's and they've started doing something wierd. With the set screws that adjust how close the lever's are the the bar set as close to the bar as possible my levers started not to rebound back all the way. I have to adjust them to stick out further to get them to rebound back or release back. Anyone else have this problem? Maybe they need bleeding again that they're broken in or???? I have to ride now and barely be able to grab the levers in this position, any ideas would be helpful - thanks.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Mine were doing the same thing. If you try to move the lever in a bit, the rebound speed slows down. I think it may be binding up. Try to change the dial that controls modulation slightly and then re-adjust your throw position knob. Worked for me...

tomvan72

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
Asheville
I once was told to take the lever off and remove the black "donut " that the adjuster screw goes thru. Flip this over and it will help. I don't know why but it did. Once you have done this apply lock tight to the threads so it will stay in you desired location.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
I know what your talking about. I fiddled with the brakes for a few seconds but they just seem to do that. That reason alone should deter most people from buying them. And if that doesn't then the lack of braking power should.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Yeah I am not overly excited about them either. I have Mags on one bike, HFX-9 on another and EC on my hartail. Mags and HFX feel great. The levers move in about a 1/2 inch and total solid feeling.

The EC you have to have the levers all the way out just to get the levers to stop before they hit the bar. Glad they are on my light TH and not on my DH bikes.

Only good thing about them is I got them through the bike shop for $100 per side brand new ($250 each retail) in a custom kit with 8" rotors. If I had paid full price I would be REALLY pissed off.

marra

Chimp
Apr 22, 2005
You are talking things that are not true, bleeding the brake 1000 times will not help.
I have el caminos and i had the same problem, so how can you fix it??
remove the lever of the brake, then you will see a little metalic thing in the lever adjuster, in the last part of it, that is the little thing that is causing that problem, after that you can have your lever with the power at max and the lever very near to the bars with no problem

hope you understand

muddyfox

Monkey
Feb 13, 2002
North Vancouver, B.C.
Just thought I'd post Hayes reply to my problem, I'll see if it works this weekend, I'm not hacking on them, apart from this problem I was pretty happy with them.
"Darryll,
You’re both lucky and unlucky to have a simple problem. My first hunch is that there’s a tiny silver collar that sits in between the lever blade and master cylinder on the pushrod (AKA reach adjuster). This collar has loosened up and slid underneath the thread retaining bushing in the lever blade and is wedging them up, binding the lever action. To remedy this, simply remove the lever blade from the master cylinder and pushrod, via the 2.5 mm allen fittings, and remove the silver collar from the pushrod and dispose in a method you feel appropriate. Personally, I think a slingshot will work just fine, but a trash receptacle will do in a pinch. Then reattach the lever blade to the master cylinder and voila! No more sticking lever.

Now, if that’s not the case, then I suspect that there may have been some loctite applied in rather sloppy fashion and some may have oozed in between the adjuster bushing (AKA barrel nut) in the lever blade. This also can gum up the works. To remedy this, disconnect the lever blade from the master cylinder and clean off all the mating surfaces and reattach the blade. "

If none of these work, then you have something in the new to me category, and I’d like to set up a Return Authorization number with you to get this figured out. But my dollar is on the silver collar on the pushrod. Keep me posted.

Technical Support"

Dusty Bottoms

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Santa Monica
DirtBag said:
Yeah I am not overly excited about them either. I have Mags on one bike, HFX-9 on another and EC on my hartail. Mags and HFX feel great. The levers move in about a 1/2 inch and total solid feeling.

The EC you have to have the levers all the way out just to get the levers to stop before they hit the bar. Glad they are on my light TH and not on my DH bikes.

Only good thing about them is I got them through the bike shop for $100 per side brand new ($250 each retail) in a custom kit with 8" rotors. If I had paid full price I would be REALLY pissed off.
I agree with your assessment. I am fairly disappointed that the El C have the same classic problems as all Hayes brakes....

#1 - You can't adjust the contact point without moving the lever outward via the barrel adjuster.

#2 - The barrel adjuster unscrews itself which directly affects #1

One thing that DOES help get a quicker contact point is to remove the wheel and pump the brake a few times. This sounds like cardinal sin #1, but it works. At least for a few rides.