Quantcast

ebay scam?

im not sure if I want to post link. IH sunday 2007 Team,according to ad technically good cosmetic average. In USD about $1000 for whole bike. guy replied for my first email..looks ok but after that contact is gone.Its official ebay shop item (no bidding) covered by paypal (guy wants immidiate payment). What u guys think??

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I think that I have never in my life seen a deal on eBay that was too good to be true, yet was true. I've seen items that got bid way under their value many times, but that's not exactly the kind of "deal" you're talking about since the seller has no control over it.

eBay is almost the perfect free market. Items sell for what the market will bear.

In any event, I'd rather miss out on a good deal than get hosed out of $1000...

edit: also, let's consider what "average" in the online world means... Everything is rated as twice as good as it actually is. Average probably means the downtube is in two pieces. :p

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Clapped out sundays are selling for super cheap. I saw a complete black team from 06 or 07 selling for 1300 in NJ...but that doesn't mean it's a good bike. If he's not replying to your emails, why are you considering bidding? No contact=no buy.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
If you can see it/pick it up in person, go ahead and buy it. If not, I'd wait until he responds. Ebay is usually pretty good about scams, but it's always a gamble that you may be without cash for 3 months.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Find out where he is located and have a Ridemonkey member look at it. If he wont tell you where he is then forget it.

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
I could be wrong but it also looks like the old linkage system is on there which equals mad bearing issues. Could want to check that out too.

Those look like and could be old rental bikes from diablo. I say that because I bought one in 07 and I know they had those teams on mtbr some time back for around that price range. I do remember the guy I dealt with was named Jamie and since the ebay ID is jamiep73 it may be the same guy. Check it out but every end of the season(if its the same guy)he has had Sundays for around that depending on how clapped out they were.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Those look like and could be old rental bikes from diablo. I say that because I bought one in 07 and I know they had those teams on mtbr some time back for around that price range. I do remember the guy I dealt with was named Jamie and since the ebay ID is jamiep73 it may be the same guy. Check it out but every end of the season(if its the same guy)he has had Sundays for around that depending on how clapped out they were.
I'm gonna second this. Jamie used to be the head mechanic at Diablo. Based on my experiences with him, and the experiences of many of my friends and former co-workers, Jamie is a trustworthy guy.

That being said, those definitely look like old Diablo rental bikes (based on the build they have, and the overall condition). They even have the rental # stickers on them. The price is good, but those rental bikes got pretty clapped out from all the use they saw. If it is indeed an old Diablo rental, I would pass.

mtnbiker49

Monkey
Jul 12, 2009
Milford, PA
To original post...

Looks like a valid listing. 7 day money-back return. I don't know about the overall look of the bike though. The brake levers look odd and everything looks banged up. I'm thinking he took it for a spill. If you really want, I will go check it out for you?

Tyler

Hougham

Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
After my dealing on ebay I would just advice avoiding as there more hassle then there worth. Buying selling its all the same. If you really want a bike for sale on it take a trip to see it and take a few friends with you, the bigger the better.

nmpearson

Monkey
Dec 30, 2006
No you're not. Do not get that stuck into your head. Paypal is there to make money and nothing else.

that's wrong...i sold something on ebay and sent it out. well, it got lost in shipping for 3 days, and the idiot that bought the item took out a case against me which is incredibly easy to do btw. Well, paypal froze the money in my account and it took 2 weeks to get back. they will just automatically take the money from your bank account if that happens. you really are amazingly protected with paypal.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

that's wrong...i sold something on ebay and sent it out. well, it got lost in shipping for 3 days, and the idiot that bought the item took out a case against me which is incredibly easy to do btw. Well, paypal froze the money in my account and it took 2 weeks to get back. they will just automatically take the money from your bank account if that happens. you really are amazingly protected with paypal.
There was also one black man in the SS... Single cases proove nothing.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
Acutally as a buyer paypals protections (as long as you do what they say in the disclaimers) are amazing at protecting the buyer. They will freeze the sellers **** quicker than a heartbeat. Ive seen it happen to people a million times when someone isnt happy with the speed at which a seller operates. Luckily, Fedex is your friend. Overnight **** next day and as a seller no worries.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
dude

"Right and left hand top tube gusset dented from fork bump stops"

That sounds a little sketch off the bat.

I would keep looking if I were you.