Quantcast

Easton or Azonic

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
looking to get new wheels for my new bike. it's got Mavic 317's right now but the hubs are no names. so i was thinking of new wheels and use the Mavic's as backup's. i ride XC only, nothing crazy so maybe these wheels may be overkill but i'm looking for something tough. the Azonic Outlaws from last year are at a nice price and i can get Easton Havocs thru a shop deal for about $100 more. i would love a pair of I9's but out of my price range. so chime in with your thoughts and suggestions and thanks

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I had the havoc's on two different bikes for 2 seasons, I loved them. Not the lightest trail wheelset, 1900g I think, but they rolled fast, were very stiff and held up extremely well. I'm in the process of trying to get my hands on some Havens for my new trail bike build.

nmjb

Monkey
Apr 26, 2005
Idyllwild, CA
Definitely get the Havocs (I've had both Outlaws and Havocs). I ran Havocs for two seasons with no problems, everything from xc to DH shuttles. Ran them with tubes for a while and then tubeless with stan's strips.

On a side note, I have Havens on two of my bikes now and I like them even more than the Havocs.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
Nothing wrong really with the current wheelset. I have nothing against Mavic, I've always used Mavic for my road bikes. I bought a complete bike pre-speced from the factory and I have no idea what they used for hubs and spokes, something generic. I could get them rebuilt but I figured to keep them as is and use them as a backup set and maybe at some point rebuild with new hubs/spokes

wreckedrex

Monkey
Feb 8, 2007
Fremont, CA
I've got a pair of each. The havocs are great, every bit as strong or stronger than the outlaws and quite a bit lighter. I've been running them for a couple of years and I haven't had to touch them with a spoke wrench. I'm ~225 and ride fairly aggressively, nothing super hardcore. I *have* had a helluva time with bearings in the rear hub. I replaced them once and the new parts lasted for about a weekend before the bearings in the freehub took a dump. My dad had a similar problem with his set quite a while ago but his replacement bearings have held up. At some point I'll get a new set of bearings and try again, maybe it was installer error. FWIW The outlaw hubs have been trouble free for the year or so I've been running them on my single speed, but I have managed to put a little wobble into the rear hoop.