Quantcast

Easton Havoc UST experience?

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Does anyone have any experience with the 2013 Easton Havoc UST (150) wheelset? They are claiming an 1870g weight and high durability (i'm not talking about the Havoc DH model).

I've been running Hope pro II's on mavic 721's for the last 2+ seasons and the rear hub inner axle finally broke. This is a known problem for the Pro II's that has supposedly been addressed on the Pro II EVO's. Other than that, they held up fairly well and I was able to bend back any sidewall dents that occurred...and they are light, which I like.

I don't really intend on running UST but I figure they may be a little stronger without the drilled holes for the nipples(?) and it doesn't hurt to have it as an option if there are no negatives to it.

Any feedback on durability, performance etc. is appreciated.

muddyfox

Monkey
Feb 13, 2002
North Vancouver, B.C.
destroyed a couple rears faster than i would have liked, replaced the front bearings after 6 months, & the one thing i don't like is they are 28 hole so it's only replaceable with a Easton Havoc rim (that I'm aware of), otherwise they are really light and it's noticable riding them. not sure I'd buy them but they came with the bike, somewhat satisfied i guess...

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Mine have been great. The weight savings is pretty rad.

I run them tubeless, and that's the main thing I like about them besides the weight. I keep around 32psi rear, 28 front and only have one little ding in the rear after about a year.

Signed; a guy who has 10 rocks to hit in his entire riding area...

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Have either of you tried the Mavic 721's and if so how would you compare the durability? If they are equal or better than I'm up to trying them but if they are not as strong than I think I should stay away.

gretch

Chimp
Feb 15, 2013
Nelson, B.C.
Mine have been bombproof... they have survived a buddy and his dog falling out of my truck right onto the front wheel (minor true), and me backing into another vehicle with my M9 on my bike rack (minor true)... have stayed dead straight from all my hack riding... I did have to replace one bearing on the rear after only a few rides, but I think it came down to a crappy bearing... no issues in a few months since that.

muddyfox

Monkey
Feb 13, 2002
North Vancouver, B.C.
Have either of you tried the Mavic 721's and if so how would you compare the durability? If they are equal or better than I'm up to trying them but if they are not as strong than I think I should stay away.
I run 721's with 440 hubs as my regular set up and have found them to be a lot stronger, although there is a definate weight savings with Easton's. To be fair I'm riding in North Van and Whistler, taking some significant rock hits so mine might not be a totally fair review depending on where you're riding.

cheers, d.