Eastern Night Train

Tlong

Chimp
Oct 12, 2009
Anybody have any info on these bikes?

How much would i be paying for a 2010?

Thanks
Tyler

Oh yeah i just put a deposit on a Black Market Riot, my first real mtb.

E86

Chimp
Jul 6, 2007
Huntington Beach, CA
I just purchased a 09 Night Train for $850 at Jenson Cyles. They say it is roughly 50% off so retail is around $1700. From what I can see the 2010 and 2009 look relatively close in spec. If you can buy it now, i would get the Night Train from Jenson cycles now. Can't beat the price:thumb:
I have rode it just a bit and the bike is awesome. It has a short top tube and a short chainstay(manuals well). I think i will change the chainring to a larger one(28 or 30T) it comes with a 25T spins out a bit to easy. My only gripe is tat the fork makes a clicking noise when landing, trying to figure this out. Other than that it is a great deal>

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
It looks like for 2010, Eastern discontinued the "Nighttrain" and instead promoted the Thunderbird to first position, with a Marzocchi fork (instead of RST Space).

Now a new bike called the "Mad Dog." (Apparently Eastern likes to use bmx frame names that have been used by other companies in the past?).

The Mad Dog comes with a "Duro DJ-E fork with 80mm of coil-sprung travel and a chromoly steere tube"

. . . and apparently recommended for riders 4 to 4'6" tall ?!

http://www.easternbikes.com/products/completes/60

jonfaure

Chimp
Feb 9, 2009
San Marcos CA
I just purchased a 09 Night Train for $850 at Jenson Cyles. They say it is roughly 50% off so retail is around $1700. From what I can see the 2010 and 2009 look relatively close in spec. If you can buy it now, i would get the Night Train from Jenson cycles now. Can't beat the price:thumb:
I have rode it just a bit and the bike is awesome. It has a short top tube and a short chainstay(manuals well). I think i will change the chainring to a larger one(28 or 30T) it comes with a 25T spins out a bit to easy. My only gripe is tat the fork makes a clicking noise when landing, trying to figure this out. Other than that it is a great deal>
The clicking in the Arglye fork is an easy fix. There is a sleeve over the spring on the left side that slides down. Pull the spring out on that side and slide the sleeve back up. Takes 5 minutes max to fix it.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Maybe we could get sweet deals on old eastern night trains now. Mine is still going strong. Just took a 3 day trip to rays 2 weeks ago, it was a blast and the bike held up great! Even casing that big line for a whole day it worked out well.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
kinda bizarre how Eastern went with 15.9"cs on the Mad Dog . . . and note they don't claim 14.7"cs for the Night Train any more.

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Thats because there is 2 ways to measure cs. Virtual and actual. With virtual you would take a plumb line from the bb and axle and measure a level line through the axles. Actual is from the center of the axel to the center of the bb. The more drop the bb has the bigger the differential between virtual and actual. That is why + or - measurement is more meaningful in terms of ride characteristics than bb height measurement. +or- trancends wheel size.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Thats because there is 2 ways to measure cs. Virtual and actual. With virtual you would take a plumb line from the bb and axle and measure a level line through the axles. Actual is from the center of the axel to the center of the bb. The more drop the bb has the bigger the differential between virtual and actual. That is why + or - measurement is more meaningful in terms of ride characteristics than bb height measurement. +or- trancends wheel size.
i see what you mean, but maybe they really did make them have longer cs's.

on the 09 thunderbird and night train the tire was almost touching the seat tube.

Mad Dog:

2009 Nighttrain

2011 Nighttrain

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
i got 14 7/8 actual on my 09 NT, room to go shorter w/ a 1/2 link, but whatever. looks like very different frames, glad i got the 09 IMO. prob spend more time on that then any of my other bikes, I love that thing.