Quantcast

East Coast Monkeys: Mt Washington Valley riding?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I just stumbled across this video:

and it made me wonder if the Mt Washington Valley would be a good riding destination, on par with Vermont (Waterbury to Killington corridor) or Quebec City. And quick look on Trailforks makes it seem like lots of short loops, the sort of thing locals build and ride, but tough to put together a good riding trip around...

thoughts?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I'm sure the Mt Washington Valley has GOBS of amazing, burly single-track, the challenege will be finding it. Every time I've looked, a lot of the good stuff is guarded as local knowledge.

Start here though:

Raced the 24 hours of Great Glen ages ago around the base of Mt. Washington. Steep ups, steep downs, and I saw a bear during my night lap.

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
driving through on a family vacation to Maine. The mountains are impressive, so you'd figure there has to be good riding there...
where ya headed? if it's midcoast (or if you're passing through) hit up me or @Rockland for info!

if you're bringing bikes and can hit mt. abram bike park, it's designed to be family-friendly.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
I just stumbled across this video:

and it made me wonder if the Mt Washington Valley would be a good riding destination, on par with Vermont (Waterbury to Killington corridor) or Quebec City. And quick look on Trailforks makes it seem like lots of short loops, the sort of thing locals build and ride, but tough to put together a good riding trip around...

thoughts?
North Conway is great riding. There is tons of it there. Some of the trail Peter is riding in that video is not normal routes. They used the Moats hiking trail for the sake of the video. Alot of the footage is good legit stuff though. You can string together 40 mi rides for both the east side of town and the west side.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
should have been more clear in my post (I blame Covid brain fog!) but the one time I passed through there was 6 years ago. We were staying in Harpswell. I liked that area a lot. Ate lobstah 5 out of 6 days as there was a peir just down the road from us, and I aint afraid of cooking it myself!

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
should have been more clear in my post (I blame Covid brain fog!) but the one time I passed through there was 6 years ago. We were staying in Harpswell. I liked that area a lot. Ate lobstah 5 out of 6 days as there was a peir just down the road from us, and I aint afraid of cooking it myself!
Ah got it. Harpswell is a nice place (had an uncle that lived there for a time). I'm on a different quiet peninsula 1h:15 north of there.