Quantcast

Easiest Way to mount a tire

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
I'm having an issue mounting an Intense DH 2.7 onto my Outlaw rims. Its such a tight fit I have to use metal tire levers. So far I've mounted 1 wheel and have 4 flats. Any help?

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
Hand soap on the inside of the bead, you shouldnt need levers then.
I've done that. I still need METAL levers. I've already broken 2 Heavy Duty plastic ones. It seems to be only this tire set (Intense DH 2.7 60COMP EX).
My other wheelsset I mounted with the Intense 2.35 EDGE, Seemed to go easier.
I planned on having 4 wheelsets with 3 types of tires already to go.

1. Dry fast, Intense ZERO.
2. Dry in the open, little wet in the woods, Intense Edge.
3. Little wetter or softer terrain, Intense 2.7 DH.

klutch

Monkey
Jan 25, 2007
dirty jersey
you might have to pull the bad to the middlr of the tire where the rim is smaller than the outer edge ,it should be easier then

rapp

Monkey
Sep 30, 2006
Beaufort, SC
I have the exact same set-up. The metal levers, like Pedro's, are about the only way to do it. You also need to stick some sort of lube (dish soap works awesome and cheap) to get the bead on. Those and about all your arm strength and you'll be alright.

chinkerjuarez

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
Englewood, CO
squeeze the beads of the tire to the drop centers of the rim as you install it that's why the drop center of the rim is there, aka the rim is deeper in the middle.

Feb 23, 2005
Spokanada
Yup, get one side stated and center it in the rim so you have the most slack. I also use talcum powder when installing tires and tubes. When I need extra leverage, the best tool I have ever found is the Pocket Pro ''Quick Stick.'' It a heavy, rounded plastic jobber that gives plenty of leverage without having to worry about pinching a hole in your tubes.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Yup, get one side stated and center it in the rim so you have the most slack. I also use talcum powder when installing tires and tubes. When I need extra leverage, the best tool I have ever found is the Pocket Pro ''Quick Stick.'' It a heavy, rounded plastic jobber that gives plenty of leverage without having to worry about pinching a hole in your tubes.
Just out of curiousity, have you ever mounted a dh tire? This is the kind of advice I used to give before I was introduced to the pleasures of working on dh bikes.

shiggy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2006
PDX
I'm having an issue mounting an Intense DH 2.7 onto my Outlaw rims. Its such a tight fit I have to use metal tire levers. So far I've mounted 1 wheel and have 4 flats. Any help?
http://www.teamestrogen.com/articles/asa_levers.asp

If you are using Velox or similar thick rim strips, toss them and use a thin tape. Half a mm can make a big difference. I prefer strapping tape.

DH tires (including Intense) go on my Singletrack and F219 rims with no tools. May need a plastic lever to help remove them. Cold tires can be a PITA though.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
Lol, yeah, infact this is how I mounted my minnions up actually.
minions are easy to mount, lol intense tires suck!! i had to use my feet and 2 metal tire levers to get it on, and make sure the tub is inflated and jam it way up in the tire to keep it out of the way, also i ran xc tubes with my intense cause the casing is like a car tire its so thick!! take your time setting the levers so the tube is out of the way. i haven't pinched a tube in a long time that way.

mine was actually an intense 2.5 comp70...still have it tread is in good shape and it was my rear for about 2 years of campus thrashing...crappy traction most places though

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
make sure the tube is completley deflated
mount one side of the tire
lay deflated tube into tire
carefully mount other side of tire
check bead before inflatint making sure that the bead isn't pinching the tube against the rim.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I've had a simlar experience with the Intense 909 FRO's. Beeotch to install and remove untill I bought the Intense tire levers. I think they made those levers just for their DH tires. The ends are thinner than the park versions and seem to get under the bead faster without trashin the tube. The intense levers and alittle wet lube works great for me.