Quantcast

e13 wheels and hub drag

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
I just bought a used Hadley and it had ungodly amounts of drag. The previous owner used incorrect grease and way too much of it. I cleaned it out and put the proper grease and oil and the proper amounts and now its perfect. Underneath all the goop he put inside, the hub was in excellent condition. Unusual amounts of drag will be one of three things, incorrect/too much grease, too much bearing preload, or bad bearings. Take her apart and see what's going on

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I just bought a used Hadley and it had ungodly amounts of drag. The previous owner used incorrect grease and way too much of it. I cleaned it out and put the proper grease and oil and the proper amounts and now its perfect. Underneath all the goop he put inside, the hub was in excellent condition. Unusual amounts of drag will be one of three things, incorrect/too much grease, too much bearing preload, or bad bearings. Take her apart and see what's going on
ooo yea, i forgot bad bearings. good call.

edit: and i actually had the same thing happen to me with one of the used hadley's i bought. cleaned + fresh lube = good as new.

Last edited:

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I have these wheels and they are naturally going to have more drag than other hubs. High engagement hubs such as the E.13, Hadleys, I9 and others will have more drags because there is more friction, it's a bit of a double edge sword with some hubs. That being said, I have taken my hubs apart a few times to put a mixture of phil wood tenacious oil and tri-flow on the pawls and inside the ratchet body. I also put a few dabs of tri-flow on all of the hub bearings and try to find the sweet spot between hub tightness and ability to spin freely. The don't spin as freely as DT swiss hubs I've had in the past but overall they have better engagement and build a stiffer wheel and that was more important to me.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
Thanks all. I will tear apart and clean tonight. Been on DT hubs forever and they spin very free. I was caught off guard how much drag there was.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Thanks all. I will tear apart and clean tonight. Been on DT hubs forever and they spin very free. I was caught off guard how much drag there was.
If you didn't have the 36 star ratchet upgrade, then the DT's only have 18 engagement points. That definitely helps reduce drag. Anything over 36poe will probably have a noticeable amount of more drag coming off of 18. If it feels excessive though, then it most likely is. Just use common sense, if you feel it has too much drag then you are probably right.