Quantcast

E13 9t

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
It that thing is priced right, that is awesome news. The most surprising thing for me going to a 10-42 setup
was how much of a difference that 10t cog made. I can get away with running a 30t ring up front because of it.
You do not need that 10t often, but when you do, it is nice to have for sure.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
While I embrace the innovation, I'm not a big fan of the butter-alloy they use for their Extended Rage cogs. And seeing how they plan to hold the smaller steel cog subset to the aluminium bigger ones via six tabs/notches makes me wonder how long would it take for a strong guy to make the steel part chew into the alloy one...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
It that thing is priced right, that is awesome news. The most surprising thing for me going to a 10-42 setup
was how much of a difference that 10t cog made. I can get away with running a 30t ring up front because of it.
You do not need that 10t often, but when you do, it is nice to have for sure.
This is new-school e13 – it is not going to be remotely competitively priced. My guess is $200+.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
$200 for a cassette might seem cheap because the prices of a lot of MTB gear has risen 2x or more in the last several years. If an 11-36 XT 10spd runs $60, it's hard to understand why you would pay $300 for 11spd. Go do some squats or get a 30t front ring. Lack of 11spd is not why you're slow :P

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
$200 for a cassette might seem cheap because the prices of a lot of MTB gear has risen 2x or more in the last several years. If an 11-36 XT 10spd runs $60, it's hard to understand why you would pay $300 for 11spd. Go do some squats or get a 30t front ring. Lack of 11spd is not why you're slow :P
I agree with you on the prices, I always ran those XT cassettes too. But when you are riding big mountain rides, there is a big difference between a 10-42 cassette and an 11-36, 30t ring or not. The same people I hear saying, I can ride anything with a 36 are the same people I see walking up Pisgah climbs. : ) The real question is why can't someone make an affordable 10-42 cassette.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I agree with you on the prices, I always ran those XT cassettes too. But when you are riding big mountain rides, there is a big difference between a 10-42 cassette and an 11-36, 30t ring or not. The same people I hear saying, I can ride anything with a 36 are the same people I see walking up Pisgah climbs. : ) The real question is why can't someone make an affordable 10-42 cassette.
$144 msrp for the GX cassette isn't too far away from the XT one...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Haven't ridden pisgah, but yeah - I hear you - 30x36 isn't going to climb everything.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Haven't ridden pisgah, but yeah - I hear you - 30x36 isn't going to climb everything.
not anything longer than 20ft, that's for sure. I had a 30x32 on the krampus and I could climb most anything around here, which does mean steep...but also short. The benefits to low gearing really come out when you're going all day, and up for a large part of it.

Still, I like the 9t because the bike I have will pedal better with a smaller chainring...which means fewer teeth on the cogs in the back to not pedal like a retard....but that cuts out my top end. A 26x36 is all the low end I need, but I'll be pumping as soon as the trail turns south.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
There's aluminum, and then there's e13 cheese. I wouldn't have believed it until I owned one.
Once the 3rd generation is in rotation I will be interested; BMX tore up alot of freehubs and freewheels getting to their 1-piece drivers in use today. ...which are more burly, and do not have a cluster to support.
Can I use a 'looks flexy'?

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
XD driver body FTW. Shimano screwed up by sticking to the old standard.
shimano have the Caprio or whatever it's called. Not sure if they invented it. Maybe they'll bust that out of their arsenal next year.
I cannot wait for this point to be spun by the marketing machines: optimize your gears AND suspension kinematics with our new cassette!
more active suspension in every gear. Better ground clearance. Gearing range of a lemming.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Yay, Capreo. How is it not the winningest official groupset of RM?

That would go great with CX rims.
I was referring to the freehub body and cassette that goes to nine tooth. You can have the rest. ;)

imbecile

Chimp
Sep 9, 2008
Bulgaria
Yay, Capreo. How is it not the winningest official groupset of RM?
So, basically Shimano have the technology and know-how to seriously threaten (not to say completely destroy because cheaper) the whole SRAM 11spd range AND the 7spd DH X01 (9-26 SAINT anyone?!)....yet, we are looking at some "a-little-too-late-still-not-quite-there-OEM-maybe" 11spd XT...go figure.