Quantcast

e.thirteen SRS + ISCG tabs = WTF?

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
So I'm building up my new Gemini DH today, and I came across a rather strange problem on the bottom bracket/chainguide assembly. The frame has ISCG tabs, but e.thirteen recommends against using them to mount the guide, so I figured I'd go with the BB cup sandwich method. However, when the guide is sandwiched between the BB and the frame, it bottoms out on the ISCG tabs before the BB cup is completely threaded in. I don't get it.

FYI, I am using a Truvativ Team DH BB (tried installing it w/ and w/out the spacer) and I'm using the Gemini-specific boomerang.

Any ideas?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Just install the BB and mount the guide on the tabs; why bother putting the plate under the BB at this point? If the tabs break off later, remove all traces of them, THEN use the BB sandwich method.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Just out of curiosity, didn't DW mention that the ISCG tabs on the Gemini were off by a fairly significant amount?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Probably; he says that about every bike. Now, it's not like he's wrong or anything, mind you.

I've seen tabs at the wierdest angles...

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
The ISCG tabs on the Gemini aren't quite right. I tried that method first, but the swingarm was hitting the top of the guide, so it's gotta be installed sandwich-style.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Looks like vise-grip and/or Dremel time, man...bye bye, little tabbies, we hardly knew you.

trialsmasta

Monkey
Oct 19, 2001
Austin TX
dexterq20 said:
The ISCG tabs on the Gemini aren't quite right. I tried that method first, but the swingarm was hitting the top of the guide, so it's gotta be installed sandwich-style.
According to ISCG, the spacing should no more than .06 from the BB face. If the Gemini pattern is right then the only other thing could be a spacing issue. And from the sounds of what your talking about it's not far back enough. If it were out of spec i.e. over .60 it would only help your case. I've had my chain guide sandwiched for 2 years now, once you don;t hit any rocks you'll be fine.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
it could very well be a spacing issue. But even if not they 'might' just be saying that to give you extra security for your frame. Running the guide on the ISCG MOUNT gets rid of the risk of smashing ur guide so hard that it damages the frame.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Pip3r said:
it could very well be a spacing issue. But even if not they 'might' just be saying that to give you extra security for your frame. Running the guide on the ISCG MOUNT gets rid of the risk of smashing ur guide so hard that it damages the frame.
Yeah, I definitely plan on using the ISCG mount plate (NOT the tabs on the frame), but that's what's giving me issues. I can't install the plate because it bottoms on the tabs. Ugh. Bikes are so frustrating.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
The tabs on the gemini are rotated to far around the BB causing the guide to hit the frame. Evil make a special backing plate made for the gemini frame to fix the problem.

http://evilbikes2001-store.site.yahoo.net/srsbaforcage.html

I didn't really want to use the ISGS tabs on my turner either but if you have them you can't run the aluminum thing around the BB. Just use the tabs and if you actually end up bending them then grind them off and use the aluminum thing. The chances of you screwing up the tabs is fairly small anyway.

Matt

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
why not call evil. I am sure that would be faster and more informative than posting here. Seriously, they do their best to respond to questions here but they've asked time and time again that people with setup problems contact them directly. Maybe we need a forum for E13 chainguides since questions come up so often.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Kornphlake said:
why not call evil. I am sure that would be faster and more informative than posting here. Seriously, they do their best to respond to questions here but they've asked time and time again that people with setup problems contact them directly.
:stupid:

More people should call them.. I'm not sure everyone understands that it's not like calling Manitou where you're put on hold for a half hour until someone finds time to answer the phone, then you get a tech who doesn't know a whole lot...

I've never called Evil during business hours and had them not pick up the phone. And they all know a TON about their product.

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
dexterq20 said:
Sorry y'all, gotta bump this so that the e.thirteen tech guys have a chance of seeing it.
Call them up and order the Gemini backplate, and talk to Michael or Jonas and they will get you setup properly.

Cannondale's mounting is messed up...

Jonas

Monkey
Feb 11, 2004
East Coast Represent!
Dex-
Sorry it took so long to respond to this thread. Can you get me some pics of your rotation issue to my email address? support@e13components.com Or, please feel free to call us at 207.772.3132 We haven't run into this problem with the Gemini specific boomerang not fitting the DH bike. In fact, some of our sponsored riders on the Cannondale Team are running this set up without a problem. And for the rest of you, thanks for the help. :thumb:

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
only way you can fit a standard SRS to the gemini dh is by cutting down the upper part of the boomerang, not pretty, also it wont work with a ring bigger than 42t.

and the hole spacing, well that thing is weird, there are 4 holes in the gemini, the standard 3 ISCG, plus another one further up but to use that one with the gemini specific boomerang i had to use a ton of spacers because it isnt in the same plane as the rest of the holes (im guessing its for a e-type derailleur).

anyway, youre better off with the specific back plate.