Quantcast

E-13 Pedals!!!

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
so I broke another set of Flats -Eastons to be precise and this time I broke my collarbone to go along with the crappy pedals. Any chance these things will ever see production and will they truly be stonger? Ideally I would love to get a set in the next 8 weeks.... when I get this stupid figure 8 brace off.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
showed all the way through almost at a 45 degree angle but thankfully was back in position and did not need reset...

Hopefully my followup x-ray at 4 weeks will show I will fully healed by week 6...

Yep timing could not have been much worse but hey I guess I will miss the DOG days of summer...

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
sorry to hear about your collarbone man! that sucks :(

Our factory is hard at work on the pedals, but the fact is that the design is so much different (internally) than anyting that they have ever built that it caused some delays getting tooled up to build. Add the material crisis on top of that, and we are talking about a hopeful Interbike release. We will see how it goes. My "not-willing-to-settle-for-less" attitude definitely causes delays sometimes, but it really seems to work out after everything is done and things work as planned. One thing is for certain, once we know that the pedals are on the way, we will let you guys know!

Thanks a lot for all of the support and patience. You guys rock.

Dave

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
dw said:
sorry to hear about your collarbone man! that sucks :(

Our factory is hard at work on the pedals, but the fact is that the design is so much different (internally) than anyting that they have ever built that it caused some delays getting tooled up to build. Add the material crisis on top of that, and we are talking about a hopeful Interbike release. We will see how it goes. My "not-willing-to-settle-for-less" attitude definitely causes delays sometimes, but it really seems to work out after everything is done and things work as planned. One thing is for certain, once we know that the pedals are on the way, we will let you guys know!

Thanks a lot for all of the support and patience. You guys rock.

Dave
ok so I'll just pick mine up at Interbike;)....D

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Leethal said:
Sweet... I re-read my post and I was a little crabby--my painkillers aren't really doing the job and sleeping has been rough...
its tough, i broke mine last summer, 4 pieces. It was messed up. You think it sucks now, wait until you havr to take a shower. Oh man, so much pain you get a head rush.

dw

Macrider

Monkey
Oct 13, 2003
Los Angeles
I'm anxious for those pedals - my Wellgo's are working for now, but it pisses me off everytime I look at my $230 worth of AtomLabs gathering dust in a corner...sucls about the collarbone - the minute my Atoms got ANY play I took them off for fear of what happened to you - doing a 12' gap on a hardtail the last thing you want to think about is: "I wonder if these pedals are going to self destruct on the catch?"

Hey DW - will I be able to order my Sovereign raw (I'd love to have it painted to match my other frames)?

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
Just out of curiosity, what failed on your pedals? I've got the Eastons on my Saber and I don't know that they fit into the "crappy" category. The tricky thing about flat pedals is the incredible amount of load they undergo vs the small bearings they have to use. Once the pedals start to develop play in the bearings, they need to be replaced, otherwise your pedal body could come off the spindle, and it starts getting wallowed out which eventually causes the body to fail and have the spindle break out of it.

I'm always somewhat suprised when I hear people bashing on what low quality the bearings are in pedals like the Eastons, Atomics, Azonic A-frames, etc. Sure they don't last forever, but when you think about the loads pedals deal with vs the size of the bearings used to make them low-profile (read: to make them feel "sticky"), it makes sense that eventually they're going to fail. I'm interested to see how the new Atomic stuff pans out with the bushings instead of bearings.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I've had a few pairs of Easton Cully’s go bad on me, but never fail catastrophically? That is crazy!!

I've been using this pair of Tioga MX pedals for the past year and a half, and I'm amazed at how tuff they are!!

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
I've got a pair of old KORE platforms that are badly trashed but still going strong. A few missing pins and plenty of gouges and scrapes, but still original bearings even with wet New England weather. I am awaiting the e-13s though as replacements.

spookymilk

Chimp
Jul 1, 2004
Salmon Arm, B.C.
those new Syncros pedals are looking pretty rad....should see how they perform, 2 cartridge bearings, center mounted needle bearing, 14 replaceable pins and a cast steel body with a stainless model in development :drool:

bagtagley

Monkey
Jun 18, 2002
VA
Ahh man, broken collarbones don't hurt that bad.

As long as you don't cough, laugh, sneeze, swallow, breathe, move, wink, etc. ;)

Heal up fast, man. You'll be back at it in no time.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
The first two both bent on the non drive side what is weird is one set is on my DH bike which takes a lot of pedal abuse the second set is on my bmx bike which the pedals barely get scratched I never do any drops and hardly ever even case on the bmx bike.

Anyhow I was racing at the Southpark National (BMX) and mis-jumped the triple step and launched over the backside heard a crack and kept going... in the final I jumped the triple and cleared it but as I landed the pedal and spindle seperated and I went down-- it essentially looks like the bearing and very end of the spindle failed--the worse part is pre-final I noticed some play and when I mean some very little (1/16 inch) and even considered doing a swap with a friend not in the final... guess I should have listened to my conscience...