Quantcast

DUI is okay if you are Carol Midgen

Monkey
Since you guys are all such savvy politicos who uncover the most shocking news, I'm surprised no one has seen this yet:

Carol Midgen was a political boss in CA legislature, who was termed out and now sits on a waste management board collecting 150K+ a year. And now you tax dollars goes toward the lawsuit, on top of the state-issued SUV.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/07/07/BAAM18JUT2.DTL

The state will pay $335,000 to settle a lawsuit filed by a woman former state Sen. Carole Migden rear-ended after a wild 30-mile drive in Solano County, attorneys in the case said Monday.

Several motorists called 911 after seeing the San Francisco Democrat weaving in and out of traffic on Interstate 80 and Highway 12 on May 18, 2007, in her state-issued Toyota Highlander hybrid sport utility vehicle. At one point, Migden sideswiped a guardrail on I-80 near American Canyon Road.

"She's been on the phone and reading a book, doing about 80 miles per hour," one driver said in his 911 call. "She's really scary."

Migden's drive came to an abrupt halt when she rear-ended a 2005 Honda sedan driven by Ellen Butawan, who was slowing for a red signal light at the intersection of Beck Avenue and Highway 12 in Fairfield, the California Highway Patrol said.

Butawan, now 33, who suffered minor injuries, sued the state and Migden in Solano County Superior Court last year. The state has agreed to pay $335,000 to settle the suit, said Steven Gevercer, supervising deputy attorney general.

The state defended Migden because the crash happened while she was acting within the scope of her state employment, Gevercer said.

Migden, 60, lost her seat last year to Democratic rival Mark Leno and is now on the Integrated Waste Management Board. She told officers that she remembered little of her driving spree and suggested that medication she was on for treatment of chronic leukemia might have been to blame.

CHP officials listed Migden's cell phone use as a contributing factor to the crash.

Migden's license was suspended for several months. She pleaded no contest to reckless driving, a misdemeanor, and was fined $710 and given two years of court probation.

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Saw this a few days ago. Absolutely shocking. Just because she was in a govt vehicle, she was on govt business. wreckless driving is reckless driving.

political privilledge... total bs.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
all Ellen Butawan is getting....

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Toyota US is based in LA-area. They contribute WAY more to Cali than the US makers.

FlyinPolack

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Toyota US is based in LA-area. They contribute WAY more to Cali than the US makers.
Their $$ goes back to Japan, which does Nothing for Cali in the long run.
If U.S. citizens supported U.S. manufacturing our economy would not be in the horrible state that it is atm.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I've payed off 2 chevy trucks. Never once using the warranty.
And how much more foreign oil would she burn driving a Chevy truck than a Toyota Hybrid?

<edit> The US auto makers are in the crapper because what they build is ****.

I am happy to see the gov. employees around here drive Prius's and Civic Hybrids rather than crap cars. Drunk or otherwise.

Last edited:

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
If U.S. citizens supported U.S. manufacturing our economy would not be in the horrible state that it is atm.
Wait, so let me get this straight here.
Now riddle me this. Where are these vehicle manufactured?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Umm... I personally know five people working for Toyota in the LA area. They all get paid VERY generously, and in return pump that income back into the local economy in LA (which is in the US).

Also, the majority of "US" trucks are not made in the US. They might be assembled here, but are not made here.

Why don't you go ahead and add a location to your profile. I want to see if my assumptions about your location are true based on your ignorance of basic economics.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I want to see if my assumptions about your location are true based on your ignorance of basic economics.
I thought he was an Econ major?

I still laugh when I think about a friend of mine that was fired from a Dodge dealership because he revealed to the customer that his trucks parts were being shipped from overseas and that's why there was a delay.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
There was a billboard here in town for the longest time that said "386,000 - Kilometers to the moon; U.S. jobs created by Toyota."

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
The other big question is why is the state getting sued and paying out more than 300K for minor injuries?

Seriously, what kind of minor injuries are worth that much? Crazy...