Quantcast

downhilling in southern spain?

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
hey, i'm thinking of moving to spain for a month or so to see family. well...it basically will be a vacation so i can ride everyday and get away from a lot of things here. but does anyone know of any riding in southern spain? east of malaga? i mean the sierra nevadas are there so there must be something.
Luke

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
If memory serves me correctly we flew into Malaga for the spain worlds and world cups. Sierra Nevada was the resort we went to and there were trails all over. Not only the race DH track, but I shuttled sharples and ronning one year on trails way far away from race site. So there is a ton of DH to ride in spain.

thomas

Chimp
May 12, 2002
EMEA Googleplex
hey,

granada is a really good starting point for anything mtb related; there are single trails everywhere going up to the mulhacen. amazing place to ride, not crowded at all (unlikely to other places like lake garda and stuff), just the right place to ride for hours and not meeting anybody...

www.ridesierranevada.com will give u some idea, for more details just do a google search

Thomas

ps: do not miss out on the crazy good food and nightlife, have fun

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
stiksandstones said:
If memory serves me correctly we flew into Malaga for the spain worlds and world cups. Sierra Nevada was the resort we went to and there were trails all over. Not only the race DH track, but I shuttled sharples and ronning one year on trails way far away from race site. So there is a ton of DH to ride in spain.
ya i figured there had to be something there but i wasnt sure how much. that's definitely good to know. thanks. i have family in perth, australia as well so i'm basically need to decide soon. i'm way overdue for a vacation.

thomas said:
hey,

granada is a really good starting point for anything mtb related; there are single trails everywhere going up to the mulhacen. amazing place to ride, not crowded at all (unlikely to other places like lake garda and stuff), just the right place to ride for hours and not meeting anybody...

www.ridesierranevada.com will give u some idea, for more details just do a google search

Thomas

ps: do not miss out on the crazy good food and nightlife, have fun
thanks i'll check that out as well. english is spoken there i've heard?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
sounds sweet; i was in the very eastern part of andalucia (cabo de gata, north and a bit east of Almeria) two Aprils ago and there looked like loads of great terrain.

if i recall, there's a board member who's in spain now but can't remember who he is. you could also try asking around on a UK board; southern spain is very popular w/ brit tourists, and i'd imagine some have rigs w/ them.

have fun.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
That would be bikenweed who's in Spain now, but I'm not sure where. Spain's not that big though, most of the stuff is probably within a day's drive provided you're on fast roads.

Does anyone know if there's riding around Barcelona? There are some mighty big mountains pretty close by so I'm guessing there must be. I think Cedric Gracia has a house in Andorra too so there's probably some cool stuff there.