Quantcast

Downhill rims-which ones should I get

Andrey

Chimp
Jun 23, 2007
Sofia, Bulgaria
Hi!
I'm building a new DH bike now and I wonder which rims should I get?
I have a limited budget and sorted out 3 types of rims:
1) Alexrims Supra BH
2) WTB SpeedDisc Pro DH
3)Mavic EX 721
What would you prefer if you were in my shoes?
10x in advance!

hungryleprican

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
ndub
For the past three builds I've had, where money was no concern, 721's were on it. They are the best weight/strength combo I find.
I'm building up a pair of 721s on hopes next winter- and I saw your demo and wow it is looking good. Are those gold pro 2s on 721s? How much do you weigh?

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
sun mtx's for the win. Mine are over a year old of riding on rocky stuff and big drops and low tire pressures and are in mint shape (i'm 200+ pounds btw)

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i'd usually say 721 right away, but the wtb rims are really well designed and have a nice strength to weight ratio.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
sun mtx's for the win. Mine are over a year old of riding on rocky stuff and big drops and low tire pressures and are in mint shape (i'm 200+ pounds btw)
My MTX's have been raced multiple times, one Whistler trip, mulitiple trips on local runs, and about to be another trip to Whistler on them, and I've only tensioned once. They are the best rim I've ever used.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
There's stronger rims than 721s,that's for sure,but 721s for weight Vs strength can't be beat. This is the best place to save weight and make your bike perform better.+ they give a good tyre profile,however I think they're just a touch to narow,I've had a tyre blow off them,and wonder if that's why my Maxxis/Stans set up blew on the back..
This has been done to death,do a search.

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
i would recommend against a pinned/sleeved DH rim. they tend to not hold up in the rocks. i have ahd alot of issues splitting the seam on alex and sun rims.

i always stick to a welded rim, and mavic welds are the best in the business.