Quantcast

downhill racing the inca way, pics from peru

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
last week i was invited to cover a race called "la trepada de los andenes de huasahuasi", only dh race in south america with UCI points save for the pan-am championships.

first a couple pics of the hillsides, they have been farmed in terraces (andenes) for hundreds of years, the dh course was pure animal and foot trail, 400m drop and really steep, even steeper when you think that they are made for hauling sacks full of potatoes

theres also one from Lima in there, chaos itself.

Attachments

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
now for some course pics

its hard to convey (with my limited photographic skills at least) how steep it is in places, plus its a thing of its own to even just be in a place like that, you just know its from a different age.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
nice, now i know how to get more pics into one post

one day i climb up the stairs to my room (man how i hated those stairs) and meet these fellas.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Softy said:
Wow thank you for the pics. Any more ?

Machupichu (Sp?) is better workmanship than Egyptian pryamids.

yes of course it just takes some time to pic (shot hundreds) and resize them.

its spelled macchu picchu, there will be a race in cusco in october, it will pass some temples near macchu picchu and sounds like a blast.

this area was flagged as under threat of terrorist control in the early nineties, during "shining path"`s era of biggest influence (sendero luminoso) so the goverment organized para-military groups that still exist, they make for great start whistles.
too bad they also use their whistles as alarm clock, and it seems they all are set at 7:30AM

remember my friends from the room under us at the inn?
well this is what they do: live bull, dead bull, lots of blood.