Quantcast

Downhill Dilemma

So right now im faced with a dilemma. My foes fly is a heavy bike and i dont know if its really neccesary. Im not pro or anything. I was thinking about the transition dirtbag. I could get a brand new one with a dhx for 1100$. The problem is if i sell my foes fly to get the dirtbag ill never be able to afford a foes fly again. I think the dirtbag would be more useful though cause i could race downhill and ride freeride. It seems like more of a do it all type of bike. Another cool part would be that the dirtbag is a 2006 and the fly is a 2003. Would this be a wise upgrade?
Also if i sell my fly frame what is a reasonable price. I was thinking around 1400$? With Raceface DH team BB and floating brake. Another thing would be is the 888 to much for the dirtbag? If so i would want to get the fox 36. so i could sell the frame, BB and the 888rc. I thought 2000 sounded reasonable? let me know what you think.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
The frame might be worth $1000. You can build a Fly pretty light. Change some parts on your Fly and you could get it down to 35-37lbs.

DS Dom

Monkey
Nov 14, 2001
Denver, Co
If i were you, i would probably just keep the fly. I owned one of the first generation ones (well i guess 1.1 because it didnt have the water bottle mounts). I also see your running the fox shock so you can adjust your travel down to around 6" which gives you less travel than the dirtbag. If you need something more versatile, change out the fork for something like a boxxer ride u-turn or a long travel single crown. The same bike with the same build will be within 1-2 pounds of your current bike. Thats not going to make a huge difference in the way the bike rides. Its things like wheels (rotating weight) that makes most bikes feel heavy. One time just for kicks i threw on a 5" fork, put my fly in the smallest travel setting and set it up with my slalom wheels. That bike could really move with a lighter build kit.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
post a build list.

Changing the fork to a 6-7" single crown and you would lose 2-3 lbs. There is a guy on MTBR with a 03 Fly that runs a Fox 36 and a light build and his bike weighs 35 if I remember right.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
do you really just want a bike that can do everything just by switching out some parts, ie- fork, crankset. the dirt bag is a good frame, but it can be pretty heavy too. the 888 is just on the edge of the knife for the dirtbag, something with 6 or 7, a 36 would do, i personally would put a 66 on it. but kanters right 1000 would do for your frame, if you really want to sell it, go to nsmb.com and post it there, it'll sell in a week tops.

frame: 2003 foes fly with floating brake
fork: 2005 Marzocchi 888rc
wheels: Mavic d321 laced to magura comp hubs
Brakes: Hayes HFX 9 HD (8 inch rotor)
Tires: WTB ? w/ maxxis DH tube, Nokian gazz in the rear with maxxis dh tube ( how much weight would i save with tubeless?)
EA50 handlebars oversized
Chris king headset
Oury grips
Bmx pedals
MRP
XT deralur
BMX seat
Raceface Prodigy cranks
I think that about covers it

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
tubless, you would save at least three pound, if not more, or you can go ghetto tubless, for a cheaper cost and just a wee more weight

sn0wboarder

Monkey
Mar 16, 2003
NJ
I would run stans tubeless in the front and the lightest dh tube or a standard tube in the back. Loose the bmx seat.

Whats it weigh now?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Lose the BMX seal-will lose 1/2 lb
Lose the DH tubes and go tubeless or XC tubes. I run xc tubes and had only one flat last year.-will lose 2-3 pounds.
Lose the 888 and get a Fox 36 or the new 66 with ETA.-will lose another 3-4 pounds.

I see where you could lose 6-7 pounds for not too much $$.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
I would also keep the frame. I had to sell my 04 pretty cheap, you would be lucky to get around $1000 for the frame. Go SC, and be happy. The Fly is a kick arse bike, very versatile and can be changed in to many different configurations.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
You could also run lighter rims, tires and definitely get rid of the dh tubes...I had a maxxis dh tube and went xc tube, boy what a differerence if you don't want to go tubless.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Ive added up the weights between tubeless and XC tubes and there really isnt a big difference. Tubeless tires usually weigh a little more and then the rim strip. If you are counting grams its not a huge difference.

snoopz666

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
now residing in kamloops
a wise person told me the thing that you should spend the most money on for your bike is wheels and suspension.

good wheels will save you alot of weight as well as say a fox 36 or marz 66

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Heres what I would change and this would make it pretty light.
888s to Boxxer Airs or 40s
2003 foes fly with floating brake
Hope Pro 2s on 823s or 721s
Go tubeless
Chris king headset
Oury grips
Bmx pedals-Cullys,Shimano DXs/cleats
MRP-Gamut P40
XT deralur-Sram XO or shimano Durace
BMX seat-Any light ti railed seat
Raceface Prodigy cranks-Middleburn RS7s
This lot will lighten it but will also seriously lighten you pocket.

gangstamaxx

Monkey
Sep 12, 2005
CT
personally I would sell the 888 for a boxxer team, its a good 2 pounds of so lighter....next i would go tubeless just using stans system to keep costs down, also i would switch the seat to a selle italia slr or something of that manner....switch the mrp to a e-13 lg-1, its lighter and just better....in total this will shave a good 4-5 pounds off and your rig will perform much better in my opinion...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Marzocchi 66 SL or ETA Light. The ETA Light is .75lb heavier, but gives you eta. Weight is about 6.4lbs for the ETA, 5.6lbs for the SL. The SL gives you adjustable travel via the negative air pressure. Both have a max travel of 170mm, and the axle to crown is about the same as the fox vanilla 36.

Get a lighter wheelset for trail riding if you want to be able to lighten it up for more "general" riding, like mavic XM819s with some lighter tires.

Put a 6" rotor in the rear, no real reason to run a 200mm in the rear, as long as you can lock it up you are good, and that's usually not an issue with a rear brake, switch to grippier pads if you still can't lock it up, but 200mm rotors are pretty heavy usually.

Definitely get a lighter seat.

Get some lighter clipless pedals for the "all-around" riding.

These changes would shave a huge amount of weight off the fly, the 66 at 170mm will have a lower axle to crown than the 888, so it will be more responsive and allow you to climb better even with it extended, vs what you are using right now. There's an almost unlimited amount of things you could do, but I would spend my money in the above areas.

Scurry

Monkey
May 9, 2003
Boston
downhilldemon said:
Tires: WTB ? w/ maxxis DH tube, Nokian gazz in the rear with maxxis dh tube ( how much weight would i save with tubeless?)
Chris king headset
Oury grips
Bmx pedals
MRP
XT deralur
BMX seat
Raceface Prodigy cranks
Theres no reason for DH tubes ona do it all bike, I have never even run them for DH, just run standard tubes. Get rid of the bmx seat, get rid of the nokian, 6 in rotors, 823's instead of the 321's, then you can run tubeless, and if you want to go all out, the fork.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
For the money....

One of the lightest and most comfortable seats I have found is the WTB Rocket V Ti. It is one of the most popular seats for XC guys and a lot of DH racers run them.

If you switch to tires, try the Nevegal 2.35 DH. It is still a DH tire and is as big as a Maxxis 2.5 but its only about 1100 grams. Run XC tubes.

If you change just the tires, tubes, and seat you will lose 3-4 lbs.

Next I would change the fork to a 36 or 66.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
downhilldemon said:
Chris king headset
Oury grips
Bmx pedals
MRP
XT deralur
BMX seat
Raceface Prodigy cranks

Personally I would leave the 888 on if you are doing primarily freeriding and downhilling. I would not go tubeless, but rather run XC tubes. Also, get 2.5" tires if you don't already have them. Anything over that is kinda overkill unless you are riding really rocky conditions (Plattekill) or are Canadian. Ditch the BMX seat for a Ti railed saddle, something like a Selle Italia Flit. If you are like me I do not sit down much when DHing and Freeriding, so a smaller lighter seat really isn't too much of an issue. Switch out the crankset for a set of the new external bearing XT.

are the 823's really strong enough for downhill/freeride?
i want to save weight but not bend rims. Right now im thinking a road seat or a wtb speedv and either tubeless or normal tubes and possibly a new rear tire. Eventually i wouldnt mind a fox 40 or new wheels.
thanks
for all the help.

mtArider

Chimp
Sep 14, 2005
no no i recomend you give me your frame, and then you will be happy, or is it me that will be happy? we can work out the kinks later..:)

Rafael-DH

Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Brazil
What seatpost are you using?
A Ti Spring is going tro save you half a pound.
A Hone crankset would work better and its lighter!
Like other guys said, tubeless setup, a lighter seat and maybe a SC fork.
I would not change the frame, its a great frame and its not the best way IMO to get a lighter bike.
If you go tubeless, you can use single ply tires and save some weight too.
An SDG I-Beam Setup is pretty light too! I use and recomend!

TenaciousT

Chimp
Apr 23, 2005
Max-

It's Tom over at the shop

Dude your bike is pretty sick. For the most part i would think you ride that around for another year or so until you can get some more cash. Work odd jobs...stuff like that. Keep this one for more fr/dh stuff and get a long travel trail bike for everything else. Once this year's done you'll find some more deals on some 06 bikes that you'll prob have more money for and you might get a better deal.