Quantcast

Does Evil DRS work on a gemini?

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
specialK said:
need a new chainguide. I know that evil has a special backplate to run an srs on the gemini. Anyone know if the DRS fits on the gemini? cause they don't have a special plate for that.
Hey k,

The stock DRS guide fits up on a Gemini like a champ! You will not want to use the ISCG mount holes on the Gemini and it will work out perfectly! If you get the guide and you have any questions at all, feel free to e-mail e.thirteen support at support@e13components.com, OR call us at 207 772 3132.

FYI, there have been no EVIL branded chainguides since 2002. Everything started changing over to e.thirteen in 2002, and since 2003, there have been only e.thirteen guides. Evil does short-run, high-end, frames only.

Hope this helps!
Dave

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
I have one question. The e-type derailleur DRS is required to work on the gemini correct? So if I want to run a DRS without a front derailluer (I dont mind shifting with my hand) can I use the non e-type DRS? THanks!

Jonas

Monkey
Feb 11, 2004
East Coast Represent!
W-man,
Technically, yes. If you want to shift with your hands by all means do it. Remember, though, that the front der cage helps keep the chain secure to the top of the given ring.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
Wait a minute, so do I have to use a front derailluer with a DRS? I always thought it didnt matter. The reason I dont want a front derailluer is there will be less cable to get in the way, and I will also save weight and then I dont have to buy a new derailleur.

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
WheelieMan said:
Wait a minute, so do I have to use a front derailluer with a DRS? I always thought it didnt matter. The reason I dont want a front derailluer is there will be less cable to get in the way, and I will also save weight and then I dont have to buy a new derailleur.
What is going keep your chain from coming off the top or falling to the granny when you hit bumps...nothing.

It won't stay on for a 100ft on a bumpy trail while pedaling, that I can promise.

The DRS has no upper slider to hold the chain in place, that is what your front Der. does, if you got the SRS you could accomplish what you want. But the DRS is designed to work WITH a Der. Why can't you use what you have?

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
Well, Im just short on cash to buy a new derailleur. I guess I didnt know that the front derailluer had such an importance in dual ring guides, I thought the chain tension from the bottom roller would be enough to keep the chain on.

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
You do have a regular der. though right?

If so there is no reason you can't use that. But the DRS is designed to work with both types of Der's.

Only the SRS guide needs a special back plate for the Gemini

Stock DRS w/ frame mounted der.

E-type

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
My dilemma is; Ive got a normal XT bottom pull derailleur, and a normal DRS, and if I want to use a DRS on a gemini, then I need to buy the e-type DRS, and an e-type derailleur. Right? So if I dont mount the DRS on the ISCG tabs, do I just line it up as if I were? I thought I heard somewhere that geminis ISCG tabs are crooked, does this affect mounting? One last question, do DRSs decrease tire clearance? On my current bike (not a gemini) it looks as if I cant get a tire bigger than a 2.4 in there. As long as we're on the topic, I have a couple more questions. What do all the bottom bracket measurements mean? I have a 73mm bb, where exactly is this measurement? I also have a 128mm spindle, is this the entire width of the bb? I need to know how many spacers to include with the DRS so I can get it lined up properly, with a 128mm spindle how many spacers should I include? Thanks alot for the help!