Quantcast

Does anyone have a Helius ST reveiw?

Guess?Who

Monkey
Nov 21, 2003
S.I.N.Y
I was thinking about the Helius FR for a trail bike but ever since I changed my fork on my UFO it has been more versitile even long xc rides. Since I have it in my head to get a frame, I was considering the ST model as a light DH rig. I love my Nucleon especially when plowing thru technical sections but it is a heavy bike at 50 lbs. I'd set it up with most of my parts on my Nucleon and definetly a Rolhoff hub.
I'm in no rush to change frames, I just wanted some ideas for next spring. Thanks.

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
I spent a brief time on Rabie's recently.
The frame is short and tight. I thought the head angle was a bit steep for my liking, but then again I haven't ridden much in geenral other than my Mpire so I'm just so used to relaxed angles. Anyways, after getting used to his ridiculous narrow twitchy handlebar, the ST was fun. Jumps so well and definitely nice to have the FSR linkage again. It was solid and felt like it had DH travel on some of the hard hits. I like it. I like the thought on moving the seattube forward too to accomodate the longer travel. Rabie, that gay freerider, should really post a pic of his Nicolai. It's nice. Give that fork some loving though.

R

Rabie

Yeah, I think I have about three full days' worth of riding on it, and while I really wanted to hate it so I could sell it and be done with the Nicolai headaches, I'm really digging the way it rides. I'm sure a big part of that is because it fits me perfectly. I don't feel like I have to adjust to it size-wise coming from my ht and it's easy to stay balanced on the bike. The travel feels good, I mean it tracks well and feels balanced --beyond that I don't know how travel is supposed to feel, but it doesn't feel like it's doing anything it shouldn't, and I'd be hard pressed to say how it feels different than any other long travel FSR I've ridden (Iron Horse, Turner); although it definitely feels less chattery than single pivots I've switched off for runs (M-Pire, Chumba F4). Cornering is pretty much the same. I lean it over and it turns without having to put much thought into it. It jumps like crazy. I have to check up pretty hard to not overshoot jumps I used to clear comfortably at speed. Feels more stable in the air than anything else I've ridden, but again that could be as much a matter of fit as anything. So yeah, if you're set on getting another Nicolai, it seems like a good bike so far, but considering the price (which I don't know, but imagine is high) and hassles, you'd probably do just as well to look into any of the other long travel FSRs (Turner 6-pack, Highline, Devinci, Iron Horse etc.)

Guess?Who

Monkey
Nov 21, 2003
S.I.N.Y
Thanks for the reveiw guys.
Rabie, I didn't PM you about your frame because I wasn't sure if you got it back yet. Glad to see you did. I still can't believe your bike was sent in for most of the season. That is a head ache. What happen to Nicolai? Is there even a team next year? I'm still mad that they weren't at Interbike.
I do like the new Turners and Iron Horses but I love the craftmanship and strenght of a Nicolai frame. The prices are insane. I figured that prices would drop due to the new g-boxx but, NOT. I think I should just be happy with what I got and deal with extra weight. As my wife says, I have a clear head thinking about another frame. I always think about getting something new this time of the year.

TYM

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Torrance CA
Raabie,

I have a proposition for you

Your Helius and Breakout+ for my RFX and Slider+

It'll fit the O.C. profile

Guess?Who

Monkey
Nov 21, 2003
S.I.N.Y
Orven said:
It's a Dakar on legal steroids that just got out of the gym.
I think I should go on roids and stop bitching about my heavy bike. It's the peer presure I'm getting from my crew wanting to sell there Brooklyns for M3s and V10s. Plus the jumps at Diablo Park are getting bigger with longer gaps.

R

Rabie

Guess?Who said:
Thanks for the reveiw guys.
Rabie, I didn't PM you about your frame because I wasn't sure if you got it back yet. Glad to see you did. I still can't believe your bike was sent in for most of the season. That is a head ache. What happen to Nicolai? Is there even a team next year? I'm still mad that they weren't at Interbike.
I do like the new Turners and Iron Horses but I love the craftmanship and strenght of a Nicolai frame. The prices are insane. I figured that prices would drop due to the new g-boxx but, NOT. I think I should just be happy with what I got and deal with extra weight. As my wife says, I have a clear head thinking about another frame. I always think about getting something new this time of the year.
Yeah, I mean it was a little more involved than just waiting the whole time, but as of a few weeks ago I have both bikes back and running, such as they are. And like I said, the Helius has been great so far.

R

Rabie

TYM said:
Raabie,

I have a proposition for you

Your Helius and Breakout+ for my RFX and Slider+

It'll fit the O.C. profile
I *am* the OC profile. Bitch.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
I've had the pleasure or playing on this bike in numerous conditions. And my Girlfriend who also races competed on one for all of this season. the conditions varied from the WC courses at mt st Anne, to some flat urban drops. So this bike was used, abused, and put away wet.

first off, it's important to understand the idea behind this bike. It's not a DH bike, it's not a FR bike, and it's not a Trail bike. Instead it takes elements of all three and adds them together to make a bike that feels very flickable on Tech DH trails, and has enough bob resistance to let you get to the top of trails.

For set up, the bike was always run with a 26 inch wheel, which meant that it was set at a max of 7 inches of travel. We also moved the shock mounting out, so slacken the head angle to track and control better in the steeps. Without this mod, the bike would get bucked from the front on steep rocky sections. But it's an easy enough mod to correct this. the bike was also run with a Sherman Slider +, a decent fork for FR use, but don't confuse it with a DH fork. This in mind, it kinda matches the personality of the Helius ST. Rear shock is a Fox RC with PP. I don't care what anyone says, this is a ideal shock for a well designed bike. Nice, plush, simple.

Drops are handled well. With the proper spring rate, it never bottomed, yet was nice and plush for the rest of the trail. High speed bump compliance is nice, and the back end always stays planted and in control untill you decide to get it airborn.

Cornering is second nature, and with the mod in head angle (which brought it identical to my Lambda, which is about 67) it was nice for quick switchbacks, keeping in mind my nice collection of Maxxis tires helped. The suspension always feels lively and rebounding to switch direction was effortless and predictable. the very light weight of the bike helped as well. 9.5lbs for a 8 inch bike is awsome.

The build of the bike is realy second to none, I've never owned bikes that keep that tight feel for this long. Longevity is a high selling point for Nicolai's and while the price is high, the way they keep together after years of hard abuse should be factored in.

As far as downsides go, it's tough to realy find any flaws that are worth pointing out. People complain about price, but having a bike like this feel the same for years and last so long, it's a no issue if you ask me. you just need the inital investment. Besides, there are numerous frames that cost much more. Another dowside is the waiting time for a custom frame. But considering the outcome, it's never realy bothered me. Bearings used are available anywhere, the bikes are easily maintained, and they look hot to match.

What else can I say. I'm a ultra picky guy, but I've never been let down by any of the Nicolai's I've had the pleasure of riding and owning.

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
atrokz said:
Longevity is a high selling point for Nicolai's and while the price is high, the way they keep together after years of hard abuse should be factored in.
I wish I had the same luck on my rear hubs. The Mpire rear end is so stiff that only one part became the weak point.. hub.. It's cool that you own a Lambda. I wish I can have my old one to just sit around and be taken out to putz around once in a while.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
yea, thats what i want to sell for. The Lambda was a perfect bike for haul'in ass, but now i must have th em-pire!

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
it's a S.

21.5 inch tt
16 inch st

i'm a big guy but it felt nice under me. as it's off of a fr/xc platform, so it's gonna be bigger than a dh bike

ideal for a guy around 5'9" to 5'10"

I'll ask Caroline