Quantcast

does any one else have a creaky PIKE??

ZEDMAN

Monkey
Nov 19, 2003
S.F. California
alright so i have already gone through one of these forks. about a month or two ago i had to send in my first pike because the fork started to creak around where the stanchions attach to the crown. now the second one is starting to creak as well. i love how this fork rides and i have it on my hardtail that i use for everything. i would prefer that i dont get a bunch of replies say how crappy rock shox is and blah blah blah. does any one else have this problem or am i the only cursed person?

ZEDMAN

Monkey
Nov 19, 2003
S.F. California
ChrisRobin said:
Wow, that's what used to happen to all the Psylos!
was it like a real problem or did they just creak all the time? i mean i could live with the creaking if i knew that it wouldnt burst into flames or something. i plan on racing it this weekend and at sea otter and then talking to the guys at the rock shox tent and see whats going on.

J

J5ive

Eventually the steerer starts to pull. Seen many psylos near combusting.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
ZEDMAN said:
was it like a real problem or did they just creak all the time? i mean i could live with the creaking if i knew that it wouldnt burst into flames or something. i plan on racing it this weekend and at sea otter and then talking to the guys at the rock shox tent and see whats going on.
It was a REAL problem. I knew 3 people that sent in their Psylos (2002 and 2003) models in for the crowns creaking where the stanctions are pressed in. If you look at pictures of Psylos from 2001 to 2004, you'll see the crown gets thicker and thicker at the stanction tube every year.

We'll see if Rockshox is going to have the same chronic problem with the Pike forks.

J

J5ive

Sorry to bump up such and old thread, but is anyone having troubles with some 06 models?

2 out of the 4 - 2006 pikes we have sold are creaking badly and the Aussie importer have told me that these are the only forks they have seen with such issues.

I'm finding this a little hard to believe. They have agreed to warrenty the forks, but 5 weeks have passed with no CSUs.

disasterarea

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Not a creaky Pike but a creepy one. A mate of mine has a '05 Pike Race that will decrease in travel automatically over the course of his ride. Does anyone know what is causing this and how to fix it? Cheers.

Enduro

Monkey
Jul 3, 2002
A country with no mountains
disasterarea said:
Not a creaky Pike but a creepy one. A mate of mine has a '05 Pike Race that will decrease in travel automatically over the course of his ride. Does anyone know what is causing this and how to fix it? Cheers.
It's the bottom of the coil that's not properly bent to keep the assembly in the same place. It's kind of hard to explain for me, you'd easily understand what's wrong when you pull out the spring.

I had the same problem and solved it by heating up the very bottom of the spring with this really small torch. While it was very hot, I could bend it a little.

It's kind of hard to explain for me, cause I'm dutch, but I hope you get the picture. You should pull out the coil and see what's going on in there. That should clear things up.

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
disasterarea said:
mine did that to but the 2.5mm allen bolt on top of the u-turn adj was lose. tightened it up and it's fixed.

redical

Monkey
May 19, 2004
I have a new 2006 (warranty replace of a 2005 which was creaking too) that has only two 4X races on it and it is already creaking. RS is still as lame as when they were doing the Psylos.

disasterarea

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Thanks Enduro and spacemanspiff06.

I seem to remember his U-turn dial was breaking up, maybe spacemansiff06 hit it on the head. If that doesn't work then I'll try the spring. Ta very much.

MouseMonkey

Monkey
Jul 29, 2006
Salt Lake City
I have heard of this problem too. There are a few ball bearings on springs that pop into the detents in the bottom of the U-Turn dial... if the springs are weak, or if you are missing some of the ball bearings, the U-Turn can turn by itself while riding.

Also, yes. My PIKE has creaked for over a year. Hasn't killed me yet.

JMH:)

disasterarea said:
Thanks Enduro and spacemanspiff06.

I seem to remember his U-turn dial was breaking up, maybe spacemansiff06 hit it on the head. If that doesn't work then I'll try the spring. Ta very much.

redical

Monkey
May 19, 2004
offtheedge said:
creaking is the new white!

........and no my 06 426 hasn't creaked yet, but I can hope
Nope, creaking is the old white. Clunking is the new white.

firevsh2o

Chimp
Feb 12, 2003
My girlfriends 2005 Pike creaks too. First I thought it is the headset, but then I exchanged the fork and all the creaking was gone. Now I will send it in....

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I just bought an 05 Team (I think) used from a guy on MTBr, took it out on its first ride today and it seemed to be creaking like mad. Not just a little creak here and there, but "CREEEEAAAAK!" like something breaking/bending noise when the fork was under heavy load (ala landing) or braking. Checked the headset...kind of checked the Maxle. I did accidentally take apart the Maxle last night, could that be causing a gnar gnar creak? If it is the crown, will RS warranty it?

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
i'm about 6 5" and use my pike on my ht for trailriding, dj and urban..and i m about 220pounds. i would just send the fork to rock shox again, but for what others are telling it s not a real problem..though it would be really badass to see it burst into flames.