Quantcast

Do you think is bad to ride with music ???

edwinrdz

Monkey
May 30, 2006
hey whats up
what do you thig about riding with music...like with an ipod shuffle ??....and don't worry about the ipod....do you think is bad , good, normal to ride with music ???...thanks ! =)

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
i dont know if id say its "bad" i wouldnt recomend it because i you have to say you use your hearing just as much as your eyes when your riding, and i have enought fun just riding that i dont need to listen to music!

_*sTiTcHeS*_

Monkey
Apr 24, 2006
let me ask you this, do you think its "bad" to ride ur bike while watchin tv?

and at the same time, talking on a cellphone, driving a bus, typing on your computer, and taming a wild pack of rhinoceres?

rapp

Monkey
Sep 30, 2006
Beaufort, SC
If you can still hear your tires and anything coming up from behind you than it's alright I guess. But who plays their music quiet?

sixsixtysix

Monkey
Mar 6, 2005
Hell
My buddy bought the new Azonic helmet with the speakers built in. He used it to listen to music while riding only once, and while it was funny to hear the theme song from Rocky as he came pedaling up the hill, he has never used it again. Listening to music is distracting while riding, its a good way to lose concentration and hurt yourself, not to mention if you can't hear other people on the trail.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
When you're focused you won't hear a thing anyways. I listen to an iPod snowboarding because it's nice on the lifts, but riding it's pointless IMO because you won't notice it.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
I used to have speakers on my camelback mule that I set/hooked up my self and it was kinda cool for solo rides on singletrack...But I stopped because I desided its much nicer to be on the trails riding and hearing nothing but the sound of your phat tires rolling and the wind blowing threw the trees, good chance to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city.

However, I do still have speakers hooked up to my Camelback that I use for skiing. Like Bicyclist said, its nice to have on the lifts. Also amusing to see people looking at me like "WTF is that guy doing?".

Again, I say pull out the headphones and just ride.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Our buddy Bloch plays mental headgames with himself during race and practice runs. He's got an obsessive mentality when riding and thinks too much. He likes riding with his Ipod during runs b/c he said it tunes out the noises around him..the bike, the slap of the derailleur, squeeks, creaks, clunks...things that distract him.

Me...I tried it and can't stand not hearing my bike going down the hill.

tmoney727t

Monkey
Feb 22, 2005
Madison, CT
i listen to music when I ski. I used to not like to becasue It felt dangerous and I felt like I should be listening to my skis on the snowpack. I just started this year and it gets me into a rythm and gets me super focused. I say "year of tha boomerang" by rage podiumed me in an extreme comp this year. Its different with biking though becasue there is so much more to listen to, more distracting than pumping.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
since i picked up the azonic lid that has speakers i can now ride with music. yay.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
On multiple use trails, with hikers and other users it is stupid to listen to headphones. You can't hear other users and cause problems, which leads to bad image problems for all of us.

On the flipside it pisses me off when hikers use headphones and can't hear me coming.

In the woods you should tune into the environment around you.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I'd never commute with headphones again, I tried it exactly once. It made the ride go by a little quicker but I quickly found out that you need to be able to hear so you don't get mowed over by a car turning into a driveway who doesn't realize that you are also moving along at 15mph just like the car on the other side of him.

On trail rides I like to be able to hear nature around me, that's why I do trail rides, I wouldn't hike with headphones either, it's just not where I want to be listening to music.

If I were racing I probabally wouldn't listen to music either because I like hearing my tires but honestly I think I may be faster if I didn't hear my tires rubbing on the ground.

esr

Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
ontario,canada
The music will help people deal with internal stimuli. We all deal with those thoughts of can I make that jump or ride that section or the unintentional but impossible to avoid moment’s lapse of attention which results in a crash.

Basically listening to music could psychologically help you become faster because of less stimuli, but you also lose the ability to hear warning sounds etc.