Quantcast

Do you cover your down tube?

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Sitting here looking at the new TR450 sitting in the shed. I hang my bikes over my tailgate with an older Dakine pad.

Do you cover your down tubes with clear film? I bought some at the motorcycle shop, but I need to make sure this is a good idea before I go covering it with what amounts to a really big decal.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
For sure.
I placed a thick piece from about half way down my DT to the BB shell (more for rocks than tailgates) and wherever cable/lines contact the frame. It's all but invisible on my black frame and does the job well.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Yeah why do you even think about it? What is the downside? I also cover my top tube where my knees usually hit the frame.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
I do too. I also strap an old roach arm/elbow pad on the down tube when I'm shuttling. Those Dakine pads blow out easily and then my downtube smashes the tailgate on rough roads.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Nope, I have giant dents in my downtube from Mammoth. But thankfully since my bike isn't a tin can, and has a real powdercoat on it, I don't really care.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I cover the down tube and the top tube with 3M clear. I then put a aluminum down tube protector on. I've had too many dented down tubes. I've also used a piece of rubber tubing cut in half.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
mine came from the factory with a vinyl cover.
on rough roads, i always wrap my shinguards on the downtube, and tie down the heatube to the rear bumper..... driving fast over 40 or 50 miles of very rough roads take their toll on downtubes.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
I have a custom full length carbon fiber dt protector on my '09 Session 88. Not surprisingly, I have no dents in my dt.

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
I have an inverted updside down mud guard on the lower DT of my Session too. And I thank it every ride in loose rock conditions.

gnarbar

Monkey
Oct 22, 2011
I have a custom full length carbon fiber dt protector on my '09 Session 88. Not surprisingly, I have no dents in my dt.
This ^

I have a 6" piece at the bottom of the DT/BB area and a 6" piece mid-DT, where the Dakine pad sits. And 3m tape on the top and sides of the DT.

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
i wish i would have, if i did it now i would only be covering the chips already there.

lucky, my frame is made of plastic so it won't dent...just catastrophically fail

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I put vinyl tape over it for this weekend at Snowflake, worked pretty good and it made for a good chain guard. Need to order something a bit more industrial. Put an email into Zelvy.