Quantcast

Do stokes/intergrated stems increase the chances of breaking a DH fork?

B

bighitfsr

My housemate just cracked the upper leg of his 03 dorados.
The spot thats failed is right between the upper and lower crowns.
He's planning to get the crack wrapped in carbon to strengthen it.

We think the dorado's intergrated stem makes this more likely to happen as the force when the bars get hit in a crash is trasfered to the fork.
This force would normally just twist the stem around on the steerer tube and possibly bend the bars. He's gonna run a normal stem from now on.

Anyone here agree that intergrated stems make it more likely you'll damage your forks in a crash?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I ran the integrated stem on my Dorado and the fork certainly seemed to twist easily in a crash - it does put more stress directly on the fork.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
You are defently onto something.And it makes allot fo sense.Just one thing I always thaught that the bolts woud of snapped before???? stress like that woud of been put onto the legs.

But none of the less that makes complet sense wat your saying bighitfsr.

SebringMGB

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Washington
id say up puts less stress on the fork than when you crash, and the wheel causes the fork to hit you frame. more laverage. i dont doubt that the stem puts more stress on the fork than a standard clamp on, but id say, its more of an addition to problems that exist, as opposed to creating one.

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
I think that although a bolt on stem may cause problems, its advantages outweigh the downsides. Also, if your traditional stem is loose enough to twist to protect your fork from hitting your frame, is it tight enough to stay straight when you're riding hard? I would stay with the integrated stem.