Quantcast

Do shoes matter for BMX?

Aug 28, 2003
Ashland, OR
I've always been a crosstrainer/b-ball shoe guy, but the only way i could skate was in skate shoes. well cut forward 9 years, now BMXers(and everyone else too(f*ckin posers(j/k(well))) wear DCs and etnies and all that crap.

Are skate shoes helpful on a bike or is it just fashion? Only thing I can imagine is the more direct pedal feel would be better.

Now if I could only find DCs in 10.5 2E......

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
I find that skate type shoes are work best for me. They usually have softish soles with a smallish repetative pattern that works well with the pins on pedals. But wear whatever works for you. If you aren't losing traction on your pedals with your current shoes don't worry. If you are, then you might want to try grippier shoes.

Personally i wear the 661 high top skate type shoes because normal skate shoes don't protect your ankles and I hit mine on my cranks pretty regularly.

Aug 28, 2003
Ashland, OR
The 10.5 isn't a problem, its the 2E. Its hard to find anything in widths. I tried a few pairs of vans half-cabs and figured i'd need about a size 14 to get the width right.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I like to "feel the pedal" if that makes sense... Etnies or Vans usually feel best for me. Too thick or stiff of a sole and I can't ride for sh!t. Oh wait, I can't ride for sh!t anyways :D

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Originally posted by Mag204
Etnies
Vans
Airwalk
Duffs
DC
and a couple more
All make BMX specific shoes
and so do
Specalized
A lot of those are just plain wide too. Try on different models. I don't remember all the ones that I tried on, but some my foot just swam in and then I found the Rick Thorns which fit my narrow foot just fine.
Go on down to a skate shop that has several different brands.

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
Originally posted by Motionboy2
A I don't remember all the ones that I tried on, but some my foot just swam in and then I found the Rick Thorns which fit my narrow foot just fine.
/B]

yeah some ar VERY wide
but i got fat feet so its good for me:D

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
A lot of the bike specific shoes are only bike specific in marketing and labeling and are pretty much useless for riding. In many cases a companies skate shoes will work better on a pedal than their bmx shoe.

I like state shoes because they often have a close repetertive pattern that will grip a pedal pin and are a usually fairly durable and have lots of padding.

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
Etnies has introduced several BMX-specific shoes... They're all really good for riding, though they are kind of pricey. I've had good luck with them in the past.

I'm currently riding in a pair of Vans Rowley XLT's... (XLT means extra light). The downside to the light weight is that durability has become something of an issue. I'm gonna be replacing these sooner rather than later.

All in all, I've ridden in everything from a pair of Chuck Taylor All Star lo-cuts to $100 bmx-specific shoes, and I can say that the right pair of shoes does indeed make a difference.

Weaver

Monkey
Oct 27, 2003
austin, TX
vans rowleys...

any of the vans with the original waffle bottom will work really well... some of the skate shoe bottoms suck ass...

use these with atomic pedals and you ill be set

schaefdog

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
Marysville WA
Originally posted by Weaver
vans rowleys...

any of the vans with the original waffle bottom will work really well... some of the skate shoe bottoms suck ass...

use these with atomic pedals and you ill be set

Blargh, i had rowly XLTs and the soles had a huge hole in them after 2 weeks. I ride every day though, but still. My etnies have lasted at least 3 months. Im not a fan of the rowleys, Etnies all ze way.

Weaver

Monkey
Oct 27, 2003
austin, TX
do you walk around in them too? that will wear them out...use them for riding only and you WILL NOT WEAR THEM OUT IN TWO WEEKS...

riding to the grocery store everyday doesnt count either poser...

:D

schaefdog

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
Marysville WA
I only used them for riding. Dont forget though that I ride for like 2 hours a day. at least. I just hated those vans. 2 weeks no joke. no walking in them. Even still. 2 weeks for a shoe is damn insanity. you should be able to walk, ride, skate, do just about anything in your shoes and they shouldnt wear down in 2 weeks. Now i use them to cut my grass.

schaefdog

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
Marysville WA
Originally posted by MojoJojo
VANS are the best if you can afford to buy 3 to 4 pairs per season. Get the gum bottom with the waffle pattern. It's like being clipped in.:cool:

I dont like that feeling. I like my feet to be semi mobile on my pedals. When I do big tables or try inverts my front foot turns in on my pedals, If they were too grippy I couldnt do tables/inverts.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i have some of the Cory Nastazio Vans.....eh. they got ****ty real quick, and i didn't wear them walking around too much. i alternate between those and some of the Joe Rich Vans (Throttles, i think)...2 different soles; waffle and herringbone (?), respectively. personally, i like the soles on the Throttles more than the the waffle of the Nastazios. i didn't get the Throttles to ride in, but find myself riding with them more than the Nastazios because of the sole. doesn't seem as soft as the waffle sole, but grips better...in my opinion, at least.

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Traveling the eastern U.S.
Originally posted by WillRidesRigid
The 10.5 isn't a problem, its the 2E. Its hard to find anything in widths.
Yeah, it sucks having wide feet. It's OK to find dress shoes, but who the hell wears expensive wingtips all the time? I'm the same shoe size & width as you, and I can't find jack in a skate-style shoe. I ended up buying some that are too narrow; I just hope they stretch across the top with use.

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
Originally posted by the Inbred
<snip>some of the Joe Rich Vans (Throttles, i think)<snip>
His shoes are Etnies... And quite possibly the best riding shoe I've ever had. I regret straying to a pair of Vans now.

greenreese

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
I like to wear skate shoes because of the flat bottoms that don't screw with your feel of the pedal as Echo said also. Plus they are usually pretty tough and cheap. I like the Vans cab series and am now wearing the 8's I think. I need to get smaller ones next time though, cause my feet slide a little. Although they came with some stupid little flappy things on the side that I had to cut off cause they rubbed my cranks. They work well now too with zip ties for laces.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
OSIRIS TRAPS!

I can't believe no one else users these. They have a flat, really thin sole, and are super comfy.

Oh you can get them in a Navy Blue too..

Designed by some BMX dude called Jaime Bestwick allegedly, can't say I've ever heard of him...;)

Not sure about wide sizes though.... Great arch support...

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
i'm a poor bastard and I don't like wearing the same shoes everyone else does so I don't get into all the lame ass expensive skateboard shoes everyone else gets.

I go to shoe source and buy the 20 dollar shoes that have flat soles and put a 20 dollar pair of NICE inserts into them. the inserts aren't those crappy dr. sholes things they are good, high quality ones.

then, when my shoes wear out, I take the insoles out and get another pair of 20 dollar shoes and put the inserts back in.

the soles are flat and I never have an issue with my pedals not sticking to them.

and I have money left over for beer.

:monkey: