Quantcast

Do I need a half link chain?

Bullit21

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Socal
I am setting up my 2002 Chameleon as a single speed for street/dj. The frame doesn't have an integrated disc tab but I am using an adaptor from Santa Cruz. One of the drawbacks of the adaptor is that it won't allow me to slide the rear wheel axle all the way into the shortest wheelbase position of the dropouts as it cuts off some of the space. Therefore, I am also going to have to keep the rear derailer hanger (which also cuts off some the range of movement in the dropout)in the other dropout so the axle is evenly spaced on both sides.

That all being said, I have set up the drivetrain but I am in between links on my KMC single speed chain. In order to be able to connect the chain, I have to use a number of links that makes the chain too loose. If I take one link out to make the chain tighter, it is too short to be able to connect the chain.

Can I fix this with a half link chain? Where is the best online place to buy half links? Thanks for the help.

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
Half link sounds like the trick. Everyone uses the shadow. Im sure dans, or whoever will all have competitive prices on it. I had one under the seat in my jeep new in the can for 6 months that I sold last night for 25 dollars.

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
KMC makes a Pistle half-link that works well and it's way cheaper than the Shadow.
They do, but I ran one for about 3 months and broke it in the center of the plate, not pin, after comming out fakie and putting some crank pressure down. Took my bars to the gut. When you hold the shadow and KMC side by side youll pick the shadow.