Quantcast

Disc brake noise

riderfalls

Chimp
Jun 15, 2011
Pennsylvania
So after a season of riding screaming brakes, I replaced my pads with softer pads, cleaned everything w/ alcohol, but they squeal like a banshee...my rotors have some scorch marks, but i haven't tried to "burn" them w/ a torch yet, which i've heard of...good idea or not? Should i just replace the rotors also?

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Before buying anything tighten every bolt in the system (calipers mounting bolts and rotor bolts). Loose bolts can cause squeal.

Also, installing new pads or cleaning the pads/rotors can cause brakes to start squealing. This often goes away after a few rides.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Try running one metal and one organic pad in each caliper. I've heard that kills noise.

If nothing else, zip tie a piece of grip to a rotor spoke. That will absorb a lot of vibration.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Pay a lot of attention and time to get the caliper really well centralized. Some frames and brakes need to be really really well aligned to not squeal.

There is also a product made by Swisstop that is supposed to help quiet down a brake that squeals. I think it's a spray for the back of the pad to help it from vibrating.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
So after a season of riding screaming brakes, I replaced my pads with softer pads, cleaned everything w/ alcohol, but they squeal like a banshee...my rotors have some scorch marks, but i haven't tried to "burn" them w/ a torch yet, which i've heard of...good idea or not? Should i just replace the rotors also?
Also, your email is showing. You might want to change your username. The spam is probably rolling in already.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
make sure the caliper is aligned to the rotor. I can get brake howl on my bike if I've adjusted the caliper and it's no longer correctly lined up. Readjusting it usually quiets it.

thebornotaku

Monkey
May 19, 2008
Northern Bay Area
Check for debris, make sure there's no rocks embedded in the pad or anything.

Spray everything down with brakleen.

Make sure your calipers are aligned properly + applying even pressure to both sides of the rotor.

Make sure your rotor is within spec.

There could be any number of things causing it, but remember, brake noise doesn't necessarily mean something's wrong. You're converting your forward momentum in to heat and sometimes noise, that's just how these things work. It's annoying, sure, but it's not necessarily damaging.

riderfalls

Chimp
Jun 15, 2011
Pennsylvania
Well, the softer pads seem to have done the trick for the noise, but the pads only lasted two full days at Seven Springs and one full at Diablo and they're toast. My last ride at Seven i more or less had no rear brakes. Fun.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Nothing wrong with using car brake cleaner on pads and rotors. It isn't alcohol though it's acetone. Careful on plastic parts though as it can cause plastic to become brittle and shatter.