Quantcast

Dirtbag or Bullit?

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
A friend is Looking for a 6"-7" travel bike for lift serve on the weekends, Trails during the week. looking to spend about 1200.00 on a bike.

If they were comparable builds which would be a better first bike.

Plan on mostly DH and singletrack. There are no freeride features close by.

Thanks

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
I have owned both, older bullit, and 06 dirtbag. both good bikes. the dirtbag will pedal better in the granny ring but is heavier. bullit a bit lighter but pivot is too high for a granny ring, ya get feed back. other than that look at the geometry.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I haven't been on either, but I love the look of the new bullit. The new pivot looks tough and very serviceable. Given its geometry, travel and spec the Bullit should be just as good as a dirtbag on the hill, but 10 pounds lighter. Therefore more effective on trails.

02sedona

Chimp
Apr 22, 2007
Truckee, CA
I haven't been on either, but I love the look of the new bullit. The new pivot looks tough and very serviceable. Given its geometry, travel and spec the Bullit should be just as good as a dirtbag on the hill, but 10 pounds lighter. Therefore more effective on trails.
The dirtbag is a degree slacker for the ht angle and the chainstays are only a 1/4 of a inch longer on the dirtbag. The dirtbag pedals much better than the new bullit does, I know this from riding both of the bikes,not internet speculation. Weight is dependant on the build kit of the bike. The bullit I rode had the basic freeride kit with a domain fork and it was around 40 pounds.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
^^^Cool....Its awesome when people have experience riding both bikes in question.
Nothing wrong with throwing numbers around either though.The Bullit MBA tested with a Totem solo air and DHX air was 34 pounds. The Dirtbag is a single pivot bike as well and is a heavier frame.

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
Dirtbag looks great with 6.7" of travel...................
But i strictly ride a single pivot frame. My Bullit does everything i need it to do without any problems or maintenance.
I would get the Morewood "Shova" or Santa Cruz "Bullit".

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
^ Dirtbags are singel pivots...
I know what you mean by single pivot i think. But it's not like a Orange 223,Izumi,Bullit,etc single pivot is what i meant to express.
Not knocking the Transition,but i had a little bad luck with bikes with linkage design. Not all of them.But never had any issues with a traditional single pivot(ASX,Bullit,Heckler,etc)
I'm sure the Transition is beefy as hell. Looks beefy.
http://www.transitionbikes.com/2007/Image_Preview.cfm?Image=Gallery_DirtBag1.jpg

My experiences.
1)-Kona Stab DeeLux- cracked seatstay linkage 2x at yoke.
2)-V10-- Bolts would come loose.Sick frame though.
3)-Giant ATX DH--Shocks would blow way too easy due to leverage ratio i think on that bike.Ask Myles Rockwell?
4)-Azonic Eliminator--Crazy geometry settings,never could get right & it creaked.Special chainguide.
*5)Yeti DH9---Well, i didn't have any problems with that frame.!!

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
The links are an Integral pat of the function of the rear of the bike, I love when people try to say that rocker links are just a fancy single pivot, Try telling that to the people at Barnetts. Here is the fact, If Rockers styles Such as teh Dirtbag, or Kona's ETC were just a single Pivot bike, then the differnt rockers would make no differnce on how the bike rides. A True singel Pivot bike, Is a bike that the WHOLE rear end moves as one Peice, Aside from a floating brake mount if yours has one, Nice item to have BTW.

Oh, and I do understand the Axle path is damn near Identical to a Sibgle pivot, but then again depends on the bikes being compared, The dirtbag outpedals the Bullit anyday, not saying the Bullit is a Bad bike, just not an all around bike. The Dirtbag is going to fit teh weekend/trail bike much better, Specially if you go with something like the 66 ETA on the front and an E13 DRS setep, Mine has a 24/38 in the front and an 11/25 in the rear, X9 drvetrain, Here is a Pic

These are nice to have as well

Oh By the way, Mine weighs in right at 39.2 lbs. Worthy weight for the toughness of the bike

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
Thanks All, Do you have to buy different rockers for the 05 dirtbag if you want to change the shock? The bike I'm looking at has a Romic, I think it would be better to have DHX or pushed Vanilla. but don't want to have to change the rockers too.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I just got rid of my 04 dirtbag, but I liked mine a lot. Especially when it was in 6" travel, it pedaled well when seated. If you plan on trying a resivor shock, Transition's advice was that you need to take the spring off, and TRY it on the bike you plan to put it on. They suggested trying a new vanilla with the shorter resivior. If you find some 04'(not dangerboy) rocker arms, it might give you a bit more room, but only in the 5" setting. Good luck man!

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Thanks All, Do you have to buy different rockers for the 05 dirtbag if you want to change the shock? The bike I'm looking at has a Romic, I think it would be better to have DHX or pushed Vanilla. but don't want to have to change the rockers too.
I am pretty sure you will need to get the DB rockers to fit the DHX on the 05 model, But I would suggest riding the Romic you have first, And before that, Read up on how it works, Little different than other shocks, I was thinking the same thing you are when i was about to get mine, Lose the Romic, get a DHX, ell I rode it a few times, And I love teh romic, Feels great, Pedals well, Responds well, And as far as Bump sensitivy that part is all done in teh reactor valve.

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
Bullit good

But I will say that I have been tempted by a couple of the Transition frames.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Yeah, I really like both, just to reiterate, I do not think badly of the Bullit at all, Its a great bike, Just My personal opinion that the Dirtbag is a better trail bike/AM bike. And of coarse in teh long run, Run what feels best for yourself, look at all the Pos and neg of each and decide for your own riding style!!!

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
with only 1,200 to spend he will be buying used.
I like my Bullit but I'm not saying it's better then a dirtbag.

I say pick up what ever he gets the best deal on. The good thing is there are lots of other choices too.