Quantcast

Dirt jump tires...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Anyone have experience on the Cult/Van's waffle tires?

I had to replace the tires on my dirt jumper this summer (old ones disintegrated from age - wire bead separated from the casing), and the only tires my usual LBS could get were Maxxis Hookworms (2.5 DH casing - 1150g). They're burly AF, and have kind of taken the pop out of my bike. I find it a chore to roll it around. I was just getting to the point where I was able to whip and try and add a bit of style to my riding at the outdoor pump track and indoor bike park.

The bike park's shop has a pair of the Vans/Cult waffle tires on the wall. They're 2.1s and weigh approx. 880g.

I guess I'm wondering if the 245g difference (per tire - I guess that is a little over a pound for the whole bike) will make a difference. But mostly, I don't really know if 2.1 is too narrow for my purposes (outdoor pump track and indoor park). I also don't know if the tire itself is any good. I guess it's made by Vee rubber, but I'm not sure if that's good or bad... I don't really do any urban riding - I haven't developed that skill set just yet! So I'm mostly hitting jumps with trannys....

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I've only ridden Hookworms and now the Kenda 2.1's that came in my DK. I would think the weight difference would be noticeable. I know I always noticed how heavy the Hookworms felt.

I might check those out for myself. I don't dirt jump, my bike is for the indoor park and the bmx track sometimes.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I've only ridden Hookworms and now the Kenda 2.1's that came in my DK. I would think the weight difference would be noticeable. I know I always noticed how heavy the Hookworms felt.

I might check those out for myself. I don't dirt jump, my bike is for the indoor park and the bmx track sometimes.
cool, thanks. Can you comment on 2.1 vs 2.5?

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
26? I like my Schwalbe Table Tops, which is saying a lot because I've hated every other Schwalbe tire I've had the misfortune of sharing an area code with.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
cool, thanks. Can you comment on 2.1 vs 2.5?
The Kenda 2.1 does awesome at the skate parks and at the bike park. It doesn't seem skinny at all. They came on it and I have never felt the need to change them. They don't offer much dirt traction, but I can't say I have really pushed them, either.

I have ridden my DK on trails with no complaint, but they are a street tire for sure.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You probably got some of the old dh casing hookworms. Those things are wierd.

One thing I learned from schwalbe tabletops is that lightweight aramid bead tires are fucking dangerous. Only tire I've ever had blow off a rim up the face of a jump.

Never used the vans waffles. Kenda k-rad and halo twin rails have always served me well, cheaply. Wire bead if you're ridding big really fast stuff.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Not riding anything big, that's for sure! Mostly just out having fun with my kids. But learning how to jump has been a ton of fun. And given that the indoor park is behind my house, and that fall/winter/spring is around the corner, it could be worth investing.

I just found the tires that were on there before: Kenda Kiniption 2.3.

I'll see if I can find anything cheaply. I guess part of the attraction was that the tires were already at the bike park... no need to order anything.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Conti Race King is also nice if you can get away with a lightweight tire.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
L0L

I've liberated tubes in corners on pump tracks that weigh double that
You must be fat then. :D
On the local pump track a guy had this on a tricked out Trek Ticket and he really did hit the corners hard and went big on the gaps.