Quantcast

Dirt Day 07 @Kualoa Ranch, Hawaii PIX (no 56k)

hungryleprican

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
ndub
wow racing in hawaii? Are there any downhill races this summer around maybe july? I'm thinking about bringing my bike when i go

kombi73

Chimp
Jun 16, 2007
yeah we try to do a gig everymonth but we ride year round bring your bike and go to dhhawaii.com Its a local forum and someone will give you all the info

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
Guy in the yellow helmet looks serious !lol..
Dang you guys have perfect soil,weather,scenery.
No skinsuits & are using baggies & platform pedals.:monkeydance:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I almost cry when I see pics of the riding there. We spent a week there and my first day was supposed to be a monster 10k foot shuttle off the back of the crater on Maui and the guy cancelled on me.

Is that the one on Oahu that I was told about months back?

matsO

Monkey
Aug 26, 2006
looking seriously nice, but do you really need rear suspension on that track, looks smooth

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
CREEP! Looking good there, bro.

For those of you asking, yes, you should DEFINITELY bring your bike to Hawaii. I've never ridden out there at Kualoa Ranch, but the trails they have just above University of Hawaii on St. Louis Hts. are awesome.

Everything is shuttle-able via paved roads, there are probably 8 or 9 main trails that all interconnect to create dozens of possible runs, and there are tons of berms, jumps, kickers, drops, and stunts. The nuttiest thing is that the trails are literally within the city limits of Honolulu, so it's very convenient to ride there.

I've said it before . . . I don't know of another city on earth that's better for DHing. The trails are world class (there was actually a world cup on those trails BITD), and they can ride 52 weeks per year.

Can't wait to see all my Oahu bros this winter!

Aloha,

--JP

kombi73

Chimp
Jun 16, 2007
Well put on Oahu, John. I don't think I've seen you but hopefully we get the gang together if you make it out this winter. Check dhhawaii.com to see all the pics. They are in the Events and rides section. Thread is Dirt Day
Aloha

hungryleprican

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
ndub
is there any riding specifically on the island of maui? Cause I will not be able to get from island to island ill just be on maui for a few weeks

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
is there any riding specifically on the island of maui? Cause I will not be able to get from island to island ill just be on maui for a few weeks
Yes, if you consider a 7,500' 2 hr. DH rip 'riding'. :) Google 'skyline trail' 'Poli poli state park' at 'Mt. Haleakala'. You should find plenty of info.

--JP

kombi73

Chimp
Jun 16, 2007
skyline is epic it was closed from Jan-Sept due to fire in the forest reserve and so called hot spots. 3 days of actual burning pretty minor. I went the other week and there were some charred spots in Mamane. But a 10,000ft Hawaiian descent pretty epic by any means. so Maui = worth it

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
jeeze I couldnt imagen living in Hawaii with my bike.

The trails seem sick, but you can do any road trips to go somewhere else, you need to get on a plane and spend a bunch of money...talk about bummer.

P.S. Sick pics.

kombi73

Chimp
Jun 16, 2007
Trevor we haven't seen you since St. Louis!! it was all over dhhawaii
and for the guys bringing up rocks oh yes we gottem but thats another course and another thread(soon to be)
the Yeti guy is a local rider with a sweet rig

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
Trevor we haven't seen you since St. Louis!! it was all over dhhawaii
and for the guys bringing up rocks oh yes we gottem but thats another course and another thread(soon to be)
the Yeti guy is a local rider with a sweet rig
Yeah one of these days i need to get a drivers license. I swear i read a canceled unttil further notice. DDIP canceled oh well.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Skyline pics John P sent me prior to my trip and scheduled ride down the crater. I still have them saved on the slim chance I can go back one day. Paul and his crew canceled the ride though...why? :think: :

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
I forgot all about sending you those pics, Butch.

I just wish I had some photos of the forest and pasture sections. You go from wide open moonscape at the top, to high alpine scrub, to high alpine forest, to open pasture, to jungle-like rain forest all in one ride. It's pretty amazing, and at the bottom, your calipers are RED hot.

Can't wait to get back there this winter!

--JP

InsideMan

Monkey
Jun 1, 2006
On an Island
Hey hit me up when you guys come out here, I live on Maui and we can hook up for some Skyline action any weekend. I work on top of that Mtn every day and the views never get old.