Quantcast

Dirt 1:04

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
Aye the old 1:04 was closed down, too many people going looking for it as it was on private land apparently.

Gawton ^^^ is a fairly new DH "park" I suppose you'd call it, 3 tracks in total I think (not had a chance to ride there yet), with Freelap timing installed at the start and finish of the trail. Pretty cool setup from what I hear!

There's a running clock going so everyone can have a blast as long as you have a Freelap watch, from memory Gwin, Beaumont and Schusler(sp?) have done it so far, can't find the other times tho....

Gridds

Monkey
Dec 18, 2008
Great Britain
^ Like monkeyfcuker said, this new '1:04' is at Gawton in Devon.

I believe Ratboy has the course record at a 1:50something.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I have a subscription to Dirt and they feature a new rider/team each issue. First was Moseley and the ladies, then the Trek guys team in the wet, then the CRC team and the Yeti boys in the wet. Also Beaumont in the wet and a nasty wipeout. Now it looks like good weather for Hart and Bryce? I assume Bryce and Hart's pics/article will be in the next issue and the times were in the dry.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
I have a subscription to Dirt and they feature a new rider/team each issue. First was Moseley and the ladies, then the Trek guys team in the wet, then the CRC team and the Yeti boys in the wet. Also Beaumont in the wet and a nasty wipeout. Now it looks like good weather for Hart and Bryce? I assume Bryce and Hart's pics/article will be in the next issue and the times were in the dry.
Yeah, Miami Bryce's spread is in the new DIRT. Got it a week or so ago?

dondon

Monkey
You guys really should subscribe to Dirt. There is a lot more to it than just a time, the different track conditions, tires, weather etc are all to be taken into account. But what makes interesting reading, if anyone still does that, is how each racers approach differs in their preparations and methodology to achieving those times.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
just me thinking...

when Hart/Bryceland were sat in the back of the van talking?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Trek guys team? I can't remember that.
I think it was the local guys after the ladies.
My bad. I take mental pics and the Trek jersey was in my head.

You guys really should subscribe to Dirt. There is a lot more to it than just a time, the different track conditions, tires, weather etc are all to be taken into account. But what makes interesting reading, if anyone still does that, is how each racers approach differs in their preparations and methodology to achieving those times.
What would be awesome is a page that overlaps each rider in a particular turn. Forethought would require the camera be setup up at the exact same spot for each rider. Then post a sequence of 6-8 photos down the page side by side over a 2 page spread. Then you could see each rider's setup of the exact same turn on their final timed run side...by side...by side..by......

dondon

Monkey
well even same turn would be taken differently under diff weather and wear n tear conditions. The track has changed a fair bit since the girls rode it in the beginning of the season. BUt yeah, essentially a good idea. Although probably best shown with video. Im surprised by just how few runs they need to put in a time they are happy with and then call it.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
well even same turn would be taken differently under diff weather and wear n tear conditions. The track has changed a fair bit since the girls rode it in the beginning of the season. BUt yeah, essentially a good idea. Although probably best shown with video. Im surprised by just how few runs they need to put in a time they are happy with and then call it.
The Frenchies would do it.:D

I am such a bike nerd that I stopped the vid at multiple segments to see if he swapped out the Kaisers between the first when the bike was spiffy and the actual runs. :nerd:

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Who's seen the top times by guys on hardtails?! 2:10 by Lewis Bateman! Just shows, if theres a 25 second difference between a "nobody" on a hardtail and our world cup champion on the bike many of us would neuter ourselves to own, our new suspension gimmicks dont have half the effect we would like to think! He even beat Tracy Moseley(2:11). Good on ya, Lewis!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Who's seen the top times by guys on hardtails?! 2:10 by Lewis Bateman! Just shows, if theres a 25 second difference between a "nobody" on a hardtail and our world cup champion on the bike many of us would neuter ourselves to own, our new suspension gimmicks dont have half the effect we would like to think! He even beat Tracy Moseley(2:11). Good on ya, Lewis!
Yes and no. I agree people get too hung up on the tech stuff but 25 seconds on a short 2minute trail is eternity. Especialy that I'm pretty sure some of the WC tracks are more demanding so the differances would be bigger. Not to mention it may be his local trail and that is a huge advantage ;)

Still props to that guy. Great time.

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Yes and no. I agree people get too hung up on the tech stuff but 25 seconds on a short 2minute trail is eternity. Especialy that I'm pretty sure some of the WC tracks are more demanding so the differances would be bigger. Not to mention it may be his local trail and that is a huge advantage ;)

Still props to that guy. Great time.
Sure, I agree, its an eternity. bBt this wasn't Gee vs Gee. I mean Bryceland got 5 seconds put into him on a full sus(assuming his conditions were similar?)! Your average no name brand pinner would have had atleast 10 seconds put into him by Gee, even if it was his home track. One thing I've also noticed is that the top boys pretty much get up to speed so fast, the home track advantage isn't really a factor. Besides, how many super fast guys ride hardtails? And there's still the fact that he beat Tracy. Maybe I'm looking at it the way I want to see it though?

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
There's a good few guys in the UK who ride hardtails as fast/faster than most DH bikes, my whole '09 season revolved around trying not to get wupped by a boy riding hardtail in my cat! Hartails are defo as fast or even faster on some UK tracks if you can hang it out on the rough stuff then make up time through the tight twisty awkwardness that most UK tracks consist of! It would be a different story again tho on a big open rough WC track.

Although saying that there was that lad who knocked 12 runs out @ the Fort William endurance downhill this year on a hardtail, he wasn't hanging around at all!! Winner got 14....

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Sure, I agree, its an eternity. bBt this wasn't Gee vs Gee. I mean Bryceland got 5 seconds put into him on a full sus(assuming his conditions were similar?)! Your average no name brand pinner would have had atleast 10 seconds put into him by Gee, even if it was his home track. One thing I've also noticed is that the top boys pretty much get up to speed so fast, the home track advantage isn't really a factor. Besides, how many super fast guys ride hardtails? And there's still the fact that he beat Tracy. Maybe I'm looking at it the way I want to see it though?
Well Gee still claimed he could beat that time so apparently there was some home trail advantage( he could beat other people by even more ;) ). As for the superfast guys on hts - We have a junior here (he is 15 or 16) and he rode HTs last season. All that time and he beat the HT class easily, this year he got sponsored, got a good time and now he often gets top3/top5 elite times at the nat cup. So you never know if that guy wasn't the same case for that guy.

btw. Tracy was riding in the Wet if I remember right.

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
reading the new Dirt that has just come out

Gee had never ridden the track before the day of the Gawton 1:04

took a little cruise down for some photos with Dirt and to get a feel for the track

in his own words "Maybe I should have come the day before and walked the track!"

first full run down the track - 1.54.27

second run (hitting his shoulder on the first turn) - 1.48.45

third run 1.47

after lunch - fifth run 1.46

last run - 1.45.16

no home advantage there - just a damn quick rider ;)

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Well Gee still claimed he could beat that time so apparently there was some home trail advantage
I read that as him saying since he kept dropping a second every run and didn't plateau out, he could/should keep dropping more time. And who knows what his time would have been if he had someone else there to race against, like Hill. I'd imagine the space time continuum would explode if they were both there throwing down times on each other.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
First time I went there I timed a few runs (in the wet) - got 2:25 on my 3rd/4th run. Was "trying" but not REALLY trying... and never stopped to look at any sections etc. I look forward to going back and seeing how quick I can go. About 2:05 at a guess, be very happy if I got it down to 2minutes. Certainly nowhere near 1:45 though :)