Quantcast

Direct mount stems

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
Hi Monkeys,

What direct mount stems is there that come in 55mm or 60mm?
So far I have seen the answer stem and the truvativ.
Does anyone have any time on them? Is there anything else I should be looking at?

I dont want a stem that costs silly money...

Also I read what DW was saying about direct mount stems and that 6061 is weak sauce - Seems odd that almost every single manufacturer uses 6061?
I think answer are the only people to do a 7075 aly stem.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Well for sake of material atleast canfields use 7075 but its 50mm not the desired length.
Twenty6 is adjustable to 55 BUT its 6061 and $
Dont know about danger boy I had one of those and a couple of sunlines as well. They are all pretty spot on it literally comes down to exactly your point:
Material
Length
$

I dont think there is anyone better than another unless its cast then Id question it due to porosity but even CNC parts break...

I think a 50/55/60 would be a pretty good option.... Hopefully someone pipes up that knows. 50 for DH 60 for FR and certain rides...

Heck we can adjust our forks up/down for HA and BB height, platform alot of shocks gravity dropper posts this would only make sense as we seem to be adjusting the rest of the cockpit for a varied riding scenarios.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
Yeah,

Im running it on a med V-10 and I think my TT is just a tiny bit short. I think 5mm on the stem would take care of it.

So far I think I am aiming at the answer stem

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Yeah,

Im running it on a med V-10 and I think my TT is just a tiny bit short. I think 5mm on the stem would take care of it.

So far I think I am aiming at the answer stem
No Sh!t man I agree I think a 50-55-60mm would be sick being as we like to FR our DH bikes and call our dh bikes a freeride set up as well.

Tyler started getting it close with the 45-50-55mm settings but 50-55-60 perfection!!!! Stretch it out a smidge and let it adjust like the rest of our rigs...:thumb:

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
What ever you do dont buy the answer one.. it looks like a gorilla designed it.. Please dont i i will come over and give you a talking to..

The rest of the direct mount choices are all good, so its up to you! (except the thomson one wtf did they do)

I would not worry to much about the material, i have not seen that many broken, i would be suprised if you broke one..

Aug 19, 2009
PNW/Sweden
7075 is more expensive, harder to find, and you cannot anodize it a color. also, with the way bike stuff is designed, 6061 is fine. nothing is that close to the edge.

Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi
Yeah I read that thread as well from DW found it a little ironic in parts, especailly regards why the Ali was dropped, when others seem to be able to produce a 7005 stem at a reasonable price and weight, as you stated the Answer which is new, looks a top bet if you wanted that, on CRC its cheaper than the Truvativ which is heavier and 6061 T6.

That said my buds running a Truvatic 60mm on his boxxer and I'm looking ta it as well since it seems pretty good, I have a Staitline but its too small and comparing the 2 the Truvativ is pretty sweet imo.

I think where DW was coming from was for the low weights some of the 6061 stems being marketed were on the too light side for the material not that 6061 is a bad option for stems, the Truvativ is not one of the lightest stems and is vey well built, to me more important than weight, I want stiffness and a solid interface, like pedals its a platform there's far better places to save weight imo.

Too much show pony stuff some of the stuff out there is ridiculously light and someones gonna suffer for it, I aint going to take that risk myself for some bling.

the 2 you hit on are as good as it gets imo
Answer 7005 - 3 pce, also nice angled bolt attachment, I don't like the twenty 6 style of shaving material off at the bolt fixings to me too much load goes through there, and some run Ti bots as well :eek:
Turvativ 6061 but strong too pieace bridged and not compromised at the botl fixing

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
Yeah I read that thread as well from DW found it a little ironic in parts, especailly regards why the Ali was dropped, when others seem to be able to produce a 7005 stem at a reasonable price and weight, as you stated the Answer which is new, looks a top bet if you wanted that, on CRC its cheaper than the Truvativ which is heavier and 6061 T6.

That said my buds running a Truvatic 60mm on his boxxer and I'm looking ta it as well since it seems pretty good, I have a Staitline but its too small and comparing the 2 the Truvativ is pretty sweet imo.

I think where DW was coming from was for the low weights some of the 6061 stems being marketed were on the too light side for the material not that 6061 is a bad option for stems, the Truvativ is not one of the lightest stems and is vey well built, to me more important than weight, I want stiffness and a solid interface, like pedals its a platform there's far better places to save weight imo.

Too much show pony stuff some of the stuff out there is ridiculously light and someones gonna suffer for it, I aint going to take that risk myself for some bling.

the 2 you hit on are as good as it gets imo
Answer 7005 - 3 pce, also nice angled bolt attachment, I don't like the twenty 6 style of shaving material off at the bolt fixings to me too much load goes through there, and some run Ti bots as well :eek:
Turvativ 6061 but strong too pieace bridged and not compromised at the botl fixing

Cheers for the reply though the truvativ stem is 7050 alloy according to the web anyways.
http://www.sram.com/en/truvativ/freeridedownhillpremium/holzfeller/directmountstem.php

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
the e13 stem is available in 45/55mm lengths but I thought mine was sh.t. Couldn't grip the bars properly and it was bulky and creaked constantly. I switched to a cheaper and "inferior" sunline and suddenly stopped creaking and had no more problems.

One of the things DW said was that making the "all three" component was impossible (ie light, strong, cheap). 7075 t6 is much stronger in this application than 6061 but it weighs more and is more expensive...e13 was unwilling to make an inferior part or a part that was acceptable but extremely expensive...can't blame them for that. My question was always what data did they use to determine what was the limit of "unacceptable".

Tedman

Monkey
Oct 27, 2009
Lebanon, PA
What ever you do dont buy the answer one.. it looks like a gorilla designed it.. Please dont i i will come over and give you a talking to..
Well, you better come me your "talking to" because I have one on my 951. It seems pretty solid to me and a nice matched set with the Dorado/ProTaper.
I like the adjustibility of length and the width of the bar clamp.
Maybe you just haven't used one and love bashing parts you don't ride. :D

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
the e13 stem is available in 45/55mm lengths but I thought mine was sh.t. Couldn't grip the bars properly and it was bulky and creaked constantly. I switched to a cheaper and "inferior" sunline and suddenly stopped creaking and had no more problems.

One of the things DW said was that making the "all three" component was impossible (ie light, strong, cheap). 7075 t6 is much stronger in this application than 6061 but it weighs more and is more expensive...e13 was unwilling to make an inferior part or a part that was acceptable but extremely expensive...can't blame them for that. My question was always what data did they use to determine what was the limit of "unacceptable".
Maybe has to do with the e.13 stuff being produced in the USA vs Asia? just a thought..

Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi
Cheers for the reply though the truvativ stem is 7050 alloy according to the web anyways.
http://www.sram.com/en/truvativ/freeridedownhillpremium/holzfeller/directmountstem.php
No worris

I got to finally run my 18mm Straitline DM I thought would be too short, oxmoron? I love it..lol.

It is dam perfect, I actually feel I have more room in my cockpit, I'm more centered with the GEO[ maybe its that slack 64 deg HA :D ]
I can pedal harder and jumping is more natural, dam I really thought after riding the 50mm I still felt cramped, but I was working against the COG of the rig duh!

I love the Answer Stem looks myself RM BOy but agree as a big Thomson fan WTH did Thomson do to that DM ver of there's holy crap!

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
The new Deity looks like a contender with 48/55mm reach, 7075 Aluminum, 159g, and $90. I might give it a try, if I can justify it over my thomson.

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
Well, you better come me your "talking to" because I have one on my 951. It seems pretty solid to me and a nice matched set with the Dorado/ProTaper.
I like the adjustibility of length and the width of the bar clamp.
Maybe you just haven't used one and love bashing parts you don't ride. :D
Yes yes yes

And you have no taste! simple as mate :D