Quantcast

Different Vivid tunes

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
A 2nd hand vivid has landed in my lap and it is not marked as A,B, or C tune. Does anyone know the shim dimensions for the different tunes? Or even just the B tune so I know which I have?
Thanks

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
Thanks, but I can guarantee that it is not marked on the shock eyelet nor on the resorvoir body.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
yep - it should have the size and tune on the shaft eyelet. i wonder if OEM shocks don't have this.

AzN_devil

Monkey
Jun 18, 2009
Hong Kong
if you are willing to take the shock apart you can match the shim sizes to the pics i took...not exactly high quality but..better than nothing i guess

tune b

tune c

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Some of the Vivids don't actually have it marked, I'm pretty sure I saw an OEM A on a sunday that had no etchings where the tune was supposed to be written.

Maybe your best bet is to try and track down which bike it came off (if OEM), on the other hand if it's aftermarket it will most likely be a B-tune, because it is (or at least was) quite hard to get tunes other than B aftermarket. You can narrow down tunes by shock size as well, eg. if it's a 9.5x3.0 it most likely won't be a C-tune, because frames with that shock size have a low enough leverage ratio for it to be an A or B.

cableguy

Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
Southern California
A 2nd hand vivid has landed in my lap and it is not marked as A,B, or C tune. Does anyone know the shim dimensions for the different tunes? Or even just the B tune so I know which I have?
Thanks
I actually asked SRAM about this. The answer is indicated by part of the serial number etched on the body at the end of the shock. For example, my S/N ends in "B", thus indicating that it is the B tune.

However, if the previous owner changed the tune via aftermarket kit, then it could be something else. Good luck with it.

TrailzHozer

Monkey
Jan 29, 2010
I actually asked SRAM about this. The answer is indicated by part of the serial number etched on the body at the end of the shock. For example, my S/N ends in "B", thus indicating that it is the B tune.

However, if the previous owner changed the tune via aftermarket kit, then it could be something else. Good luck with it.
see 'size picture above. his damper has the "B" tune but his serial number ends with "3"

AzN_devil

Monkey
Jun 18, 2009
Hong Kong

actually i just looked my vivid 5.1 shock (different from the one in the photo)
seems that the newer shocks have another line beneath the serial number stating what size and tune it is

TrailzHozer

Monkey
Jan 29, 2010
And if you look just under the adjuster on the shaft eyelet there is a serial number that ends with a B... just sayn:D
we know that Einstein. If you took the time to read the thread, you'd find out that the OP DOES NOT have that etching on his shock.

Cableguy was suggesting that if you didn't have that etching, you could tell what the tune was by looking at the serial number. on most RS products the serial number is that white tag you can see on the shock. Boxxer, Lyrik, Monarch, etc all have it.

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
we know that Einstein. If you took the time to read the thread, you'd find out that the OP DOES NOT have that etching on his shock.

Cableguy was suggesting that if you didn't have that etching, you could tell what the tune was by looking at the serial number. on most RS products the serial number is that white tag you can see on the shock. Boxxer, Lyrik, Monarch, etc all have it.
Actually "Chief" i did read the whole thread including Cableguys post...if you take 2 min to go back and read it (properly this time), you might take note of where Cable guy says "The answer is indicated by part of the serial number etched on the body at the end of the shock." To make it easy for you i have highlighted the relevant word.
The White tag with the serial number on it that you mention is not an etching it is a white sticker.
That is why i pointed out that the only visibale etched serial number in said picture does infact have a B at the end.

Oh an im also well aware that this post aswell as my last (or either of yours) is of no use to the OP as he dosnt seem to have this or any number etched on his shock...
Have a nice day "Chief":thumb:

Last edited: