Quantcast

Diesel owners....

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I know there are a few of you out there but I can't remember exactly who....since I have had my Diesel I keep running into ONE problem...my chain keeps coimg off. I have the idler set up on the frame and the front chain ring is a 36T...The alignment is near perfect but it still keeps coming off. I have been trying to figure out whats wrong but so far no answers.

Has any other owners had this problem? I really want to keep the idler because it really helps the frames pedaling but I don't want a drop chain ruining my riding/racing....D

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
not a diesel owner but run the same type of setup.

two things: the drivetrain must be perfectly smooth otherwise you'll always loose the chain on the backpedal, and you really need something to guide the inside to make it bullet proof. So either modify the chainguide, or use an inner plate (like the MRP system1).

crashnscar

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Mt. View, CA
If you have the alignment set off at all, make sure it is towards the bash so that the chain hits the bash instead of falling off of the other side. Also try sticking an inner bash

Apr 1, 2002
Freezin my arse off!
make sure you don't have a bent chainring/spider. Your top pulley should slide laterally a few mm.
I run mine WITHOUT the bashguard (just pully and 42t ring)..and have dropped the chain only 4 times....2 of those cause I bent the spider on my saint cranks (doesn't help that your chainring lands on a babyhead.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I think you need to run a chainguide with a inner plate. My BB7 has an almost identical setup and it didn't work very well when I tried to use a e13 guide. It worked, but the mrp was more reliable.

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
BMXman said:
I know there are a few of you out there but I can't remember exactly who....since I have had my Diesel I keep running into ONE problem...my chain keeps coimg off. I have the idler set up on the frame and the front chain ring is a 36T...The alignment is near perfect but it still keeps coming off. I have been trying to figure out whats wrong but so far no answers.

Has any other owners had this problem? I really want to keep the idler because it really helps the frames pedaling but I don't want a drop chain ruining my riding/racing....D
When did you get rid of your floater.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
That pic was probably pre-floater...

Edit: D, here's a thought...if the idler roller does move laterally, as someone pointed out above, maybe it's that movement that's causing a bit of chain slack and subsequent derailment when you're pedalling in rough stuff.

Perhaps you should use some washers to space the idler out to a fixed position that's congruent with your chainline? Just a speculation...

MD

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
hmm...well I really don't want to use the MRP...I will try and find a way to make some kind of back plate. The ring is perfectly straight and like I said the chainline is a close to perfect as it's going to get.

Sanjay the pic is before I put the Romic and floater on....D

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
BMXman said:
hmm...well I really don't want to use the MRP...I will try and find a way to make some kind of back plate. The ring is perfectly straight and like I said the chainline is a close to perfect as it's going to get.
heres my setup, used an inner plate with the Evil bash (cant really see it since i shaped it like the ring/bashguard), and getto-rigged a pair of plastic ODI bar end-caps as a static roller guide.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
Its because your ring size is too small, the guys at trek recomend running a 42T chainring. Mio sumosa (sp?) was runnig a little chain ring on her bike at the fort billy WC and was running an extra roller between the CTE and chain device like so: http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/341/pbpic341781.jpg if you know what I mean. I spoke to her wrench Gary Wulf who said that it was the only way to keep the chain on even with the MRP back plate....I dont remember what size of ring she had but it was tiny :eek:

here is my one :)
http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/photo/?op=view&image=131025

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
klunky said:
Its because your ring size is too small, the guys at trek recomend running a 42T chainring. Mio sumosa (sp?) was runnig a little chain ring on her bike at the fort billy WC and was running an extra roller between the CTE and chain device like so: http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/341/pbpic341781.jpg if you know what I mean. I spoke to her wrench Gary Wulf who said that it was the only way to keep the chain on even with the MRP back plate....I dont remember what size of ring she had but it was tiny :eek:

here is my one :)
http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/photo/?op=view&image=131025
hmm..well I'm trying to run a smaller ring to make the bike more dual purpose without running a front derailleur...so are you saying if I add the MRP backplate I will still have the same problem as long as I'm running the 36T?....D

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
zedro said:
.... and you really need something to guide the inside to make it bullet proof. So either modify the chainguide, or use an inner plate (like the MRP system1).
:stupid: You need something in back.

BikeFan84

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
D-Ville
Just get a MRP guide plate, I think that they are sold individual, and then put that on the back, then you will not have to get rid of the E-13 guide. I have run both E-13 and MRP guides, and I must say that I am pretty fond of the my new E-13.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
I think with the mrp guide plate your chain would fall off less but it would still jump.....the chain is covering a very small amount of chainring on a 36T

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
BMXman said:
Sanjay the pic is before I put the Romic and floater on....D
Hey BMX man, Brian from Therapy here. I'm assuming this means that after we spoke the installlation went pretty smooth?

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
shock said:
Hey BMX man, Brian from Therapy here. I'm assuming this means that after we spoke the installlation went pretty smooth?
yeah thanks a million you were a great help over the phone. I took the bike out to Utah for four days right after we spoke and the addition of the floater was very noticable...especially on the steep drop on trails....I can't see myself riding the bike without it....I will post a more thorough review once I have had like 2 months on it...D

Jonas

Monkey
Feb 11, 2004
East Coast Represent!
BMXman -
I got a chance to set an SRS up on this frame this past race season. Leave the upper guide pulley on your bike (for obvious pedaling reasons). Just rotate the hell out of the boomerang clockwise so you can set up the upper wearplate on the top part of the boomerang. I see you have one of our chainrings, which will make that set up perfect. This'll solve all your problems (at least all of the ones concerning chain drop). So, bsaically it comes down to setting up the guide to the instruction manual tolerances and only ignoring the rotation rules. So, the lower pulley will be rotated fairly far up behind the bashguard. You may need to add a couple links of chaiin to compensate for the extra tension added. Let me know if you continue to have any set up issues.

Regards,

Jonas

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
E13Tech said:
So, bsaically it comes down to setting up the guide to the instruction manual tolerances and only ignoring the rotation rules. So, the lower pulley will be rotated fairly far up behind the bashguard. You may need to add a couple links of chaiin to compensate for the extra tension added.
higher pivot bikes should have higher roller setups, exactly for the same reason they use those drive pulleys. This eliminates (reduces) all the derailler pull high pivot bikes are notorious for when they cycle their travel. This is why my chainguide pulley is mounted on the swingarm; it reduces the derailler pull to about 5mm (from center) which really preserved my derailler and shifting.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
E13Tech said:
BMXman -
I got a chance to set an SRS up on this frame this past race season. Leave the upper guide pulley on your bike (for obvious pedaling reasons). Just rotate the hell out of the boomerang clockwise so you can set up the upper wearplate on the top part of the boomerang. I see you have one of our chainrings, which will make that set up perfect. This'll solve all your problems (at least all of the ones concerning chain drop). So, bsaically it comes down to setting up the guide to the instruction manual tolerances and only ignoring the rotation rules. So, the lower pulley will be rotated fairly far up behind the bashguard. You may need to add a couple links of chaiin to compensate for the extra tension added. Let me know if you continue to have any set up issues.

Regards,

Jonas
so I need a new backplate then. I cut the top off of the one in the pic to make it fit. Can I call direct or do I need to go through my sponsor contact?....D

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
If you have to rotate the E13 back plate really far to fit the upper guide in the right place, I'm sure you could get a custom back plate made so the lower roller isn't so high. That would look good and work well.