Quantcast

Did a search, rotor bolts where to....???

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Ok, so I did a search on Rotor bolts as I've snapped one and need to get some replacement ones. I swore I had some lying around but I've searched high and low, with nothing found yet. On hayes site I found that they are

Disc Screws – T25 Torx Head – M5 X 0.8mm Thread – 10 mm length.

I couldn't find any on the bicycle websites (go-ride/balle racing/Jenson/Supergo etc...) so I figured what the hey, I'll just see where I can get them online...Well I couldn't find a metric fastener website that listed torx bolts. So now I'm stuck.

Just curious where can I get these (No the LBS didn't have any) and if so online where can I go look? I wanna say BTI had a set listed that sells 12 bolts in a pack

99-16607 is the Hayes part #, BTI's part # is HY8752

Any help would be great :) I just would hope that for 12 bolts it wouldn't be $1 a bolt which I have a feeling for, but it's all worth a shot.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Spunger said:
(No the LBS didn't have any)
I guarantee you that Bicycle Bob's has them in stock. Give 'em a call.

Goleta store: 805-685-6799
Santa Barbara store: 805-682-4699

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
dexterq20 said:
I guarantee you that Bicycle Bob's has them in stock. Give 'em a call.

Goleta store: 805-685-6799
Santa Barbara store: 805-682-4699
And tell them to order some Hayes pads, they got one pair of organics in Goleta, just pathetic! :D

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
honestly $1 per bolt doesn't sound too unreasonable for the quantity your are buying. rotor bolts should be some grade above grade 8 (at which point they're nearly indestructable) that means they're made out of a less common alloy and heat treated more precisely than the bolts you'd buy for a few cents.

You might find metric torx bolts at an auto parts store, but I wouldn't trust the quality. Order what you've found from BTI.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Specialty Tools on Aero Camino. You can get allen headed M5 x 0.8 bolts in any length. Good stuff.

Connundrum1

Monkey
Mar 11, 2005
Gold River, Sac Town, CA
Home Depot has them, there not as low porfile heads but my friends running a rotor full of them now and they fit perfect. not sure of the size but its a metric size. bring the old bolt and have them match it, any hardware store will have them.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Kornphlake said:
honestly $1 per bolt doesn't sound too unreasonable for the quantity your are buying.
sure it does, when you can buy 100 of them for 8$ at McMaster-Carr (and yes, the good 12.9 grade stuff). Or you can buy 12 for 12$ if you really want :sneaky:

btw, its just M6x1.00 bolts, get button head or low profile, since standard heads can interfere with some setups.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Actually zed, they're 5mm, not 6.
I've tried finding the torx bolts from a non-bike supply place. The best I could do was the low profile socket heads from McMaster

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
LOL I got plenty of pads (4 sets) but I dunno if they are semi-metallic or organic. I'll have to check on that one :)

Well funny thing was......One wheel I had from eons ago has hex headed screws and every other wheel I have has the torx heads. I had a spare unopened rotor and just stole 1 bolt from that. Thank god for spare parts...

Universal cycles had a set for $9.99. I guess :sigh: if I have to pay $1 per bolt then so be it. I think there's 12 per pack so it's less than $1 per but you guys get the points. I'll check out Bob's in Goleta as I don't think the SB store would have that stuff.

Or Dexter20, if you know for sure the Goleta one has the goods find then I'll just go there next time I'm out in Goleta :)

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Zark said:
And tell them to order some Hayes pads, they got one pair of organics in Goleta, just pathetic! :D
:nopity:

Spunger said:
I'll check out Bob's in Goleta as I don't think the SB store would have that stuff.
You gotta trust me on this one, seeing as how I work at Bob's and all... either shop will have 'em.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
buildyourown said:
Actually zed, they're 5mm, not 6.
I've tried finding the torx bolts from a non-bike supply place. The best I could do was the low profile socket heads from McMaster
oops, yer right. Torx heads arent necessary at all anyways, just have a decent allen key to not round out the button heads after a few rotor swaps. The blue button heads i got from them have been fine

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
zedro said:
oops, yer right. Torx heads arent necessary at all anyways, just have a decent allen key to not round out the button heads after a few rotor swaps. The blue button heads i got from them have been fine
I'm not sure how close to the truth you are there. I know torx heads can take a lot more torque without rounding out than a hex head, rotor bolts need something in the neighborhood of 10-12 foot pounds, if I recall correctly, that's a lot of torque to be putting on a 5 mm hex. After the rotor heats and cools those bolts might bind into the rotor mount and it will take significantly more torqe to back the screws out. High torque fasteners were designed for high torque applications, this is certainly one application where a torx head fastener makes sense. If you like stripping out hex heads and monkeying around with your dremel tool and what not to get stripped bolts out be my guest, for myself I'll stick with the specified fastener.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
My friends bike was built and shipped to him with allen head rotor bolts. They stripped out and guess who got to drill them all out? ME!

It wasn't that bad of a job but it still scared me into thinking torx aren't a bad idea on rotors.

Shmoe

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Calgary, Canada eh?
Ive ran hex bolts on my rotors for as long as i can remember since my multi tool doesnt have a t25. They never strip out and ive had no problems. The T25s strip out pretty easily due to the fact that alot of people use a rounded head t25 wrench on them. If you gonna go with a t25 make sure you file your tool so it sits flat..

J

J5ive

I think many brand use the torx socket as an excuse to use lame arse material in their bolts. I've been using these bolts forever. www.rotorbolts.com . In a torque test a bondus hex key snapped before the bolt rounded or snapped.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Kornphlake said:
I'm not sure how close to the truth you are there. I know torx heads can take a lot more torque without rounding out than a hex head, rotor bolts need something in the neighborhood of 10-12 foot pounds, if I recall correctly, that's a lot of torque to be putting on a 5 mm hex. After the rotor heats and cools those bolts might bind into the rotor mount and it will take significantly more torqe to back the screws out. High torque fasteners were designed for high torque applications, this is certainly one application where a torx head fastener makes sense. If you like stripping out hex heads and monkeying around with your dremel tool and what not to get stripped bolts out be my guest, for myself I'll stick with the specified fastener.
thats why i said use a quality tool bit; a cheapo one will strip the head out in one or two de-installs. I havent stripped one since my Pedros allen set.